Opinons on best way to start bike?

So yesterday started one of the funniest and seemed to be over the top argument between my riding buddies I have ever seen and was just curious on you guys input.

I have a 2013 kx450f and was going to go ride with 5  friends. Well I pull it out of the garage and start to kick it to start it up after the first kick didnt start it, the battle began lol.

i got from one buddy to blip throttle before kicking the other guy was like "DONT GIVE ANY THROTTLE WHILE ITS NOT RUNNING" then some one mentioned using the choke/enricher thing, which sent another guy on a rant how it isnt needed :crazy:

All the guys I went with dont ride kawis so was wondering what you guys do to get it started? I really have no issues starting it and never have used the "choke" but take maybe 7-8 good kicks and it will start. But I see people saying their bikes are 1 kick bikes.

Also when i first get it started seems i have to keep reving it at least till it warms up cause even in first gear rididng slowly if i let off gas it will die, but once its warm it rides like a champ.

Edited by suplol

i have a freshly rebuild 09 KX450(efi) so i hope my imput is still eligible, but my bike is usually a 1 or 2 kick bike, but just for ease of use, ive been known to use the "choke" to help warm the bike up...it just makes it a lot more hassle free for me so i dont have to keep blipping the throttle when waiting for it to warm up. but i do agree with the friend who said there is no need to blip the throttle while the bike is off. or trying to do it at the same time youre kicking it, in my opinion the bike should start just fine with no throttle.

Blipping the throttle while kicking is a good way to get smacked with the kicker when it backfires.not bad if wearing boots, but tennis shoes will leave you in some pain.

I use the cold start knob, just makes things easier to get warmed up.

I use the cold start knob, just makes things easier to get warmed up.

Is this the choke enricher thing? i have heard it called 100 diffrent names.

Yes, it is the enricher, choke, knob thing, cold start helper, or thingy under the seat.. All the same thing haha

for starting there are two possible throttle positions:

- closed: you get the right amount of fuel (or maybe a tad on the rich side)

- fully open: no fuel injection! I use this for the very first kick to charge the condenser

there are also two positions of the cold start knob:

- closed: when the motor is warm

- engaged: adds air (only air), this increases idle and also is the second part of the EFI choke system

(part one of the choke is made by the EFI, which detects cold air and adds fuel in that case)

nevertheless there are more than one "right" startup procedures...

The thing under the seat is a "high idle" turns your idle up so it's easyer to start when cold. Not a choke, chokes are on a carb! Your bikes not starting with 1-2 kicks because your not using the high idle and your possibly not giving it a full kick kawis like to have the kick starter all the way up and 1-2 full kicks should bring her to life... If your short kicking the bike that's why it's take 7-8 kicks

Edited by Jhall08

Hmm, my ktm starts real easy. No kicking needed. They didn't even give me a kick start lever. No need to pull the choke/whatever. One push on the happy button and go. Haha.

Just had to put that in since it sounds like your buddies argued like mine do.  We almost went to blows over what way to point your handle bars when parking your bike on the triangle stand. Lean left point right!

I have the 12 and my bros has the 13 kawi....... The black knob on the left hand side is a cold starter choke and idle screw for your tik over so if its bn noked or summit your tik over could be to lowok dnt let other people say any diff turn it one click aniclockwise this turns it up kept doin that till it ticks over properly ok and ours never take more than 3 kicks to starts from cold and also how many hours on bike mate becouse the engine temp sensers fook up real easy al show ya where I mean mate if they not getn a good connection the bike will not run also does your if warning light come on????

Holy christ I think I've just become more retarded by reading that last post! Burn another one sparky!

Hmm, my ktm starts real easy. No kicking needed. They didn't even give me a kick start lever. No need to pull the choke/whatever. One push on the happy button and go. Haha.

Just had to put that in since it sounds like your buddies argued like mine do.  We almost went to blows over what way to point your handle bars when parking your bike on the triangle stand. Lean left point right!

What?!??? Always lean left point left!

I bet ya look restarted aswell ya £&@@!?£ fool!!

:lol:  Should ask my buddies how high or low I should put my brake and cluth levers. I could see punches being thrown over that!

What?!??? Always lean left point left!

Sure if you like you bike to just fall over. 

And look like a dog with its tail between its legs.

Lean left point right, like a man! Lol

Buy an oil burner.

I have the 12 and my bros has the 13 kawi....... The black knob on the left hand side is a cold starter choke and idle screw for your tik over so if its bn noked or summit your tik over could be to lowok dnt let other people say any diff turn it one click aniclockwise this turns it up kept doin that till it ticks over properly ok and ours never take more than 3 kicks to starts from cold and also how many hours on bike mate becouse the engine temp sensers fook up real easy al show ya where I mean mate if they not getn a good connection the bike will not run also does your if warning light come on????

By eck!! I'll try that, tha knows.

The knob under the tank is the idle adjustment and it increases the idle in order to start the bike when cold. So pull the knob out the first time you start it in the morning and it wont need 7-8 kicks unless your valves are out of spec.

You normally need one or 2 full kicks to charge the capaciter and it should start at maximum 3 kicks.

When its hot and doesnt start in 2 kicks then give a small amount a throttle and it should start.

Turning the throttle on an EFI bike before starting does not do anything but on carb bikes it can flood the motor due to the accelerator pump pumping fuel into the motor.