Sign in to follow this  

Oil leak

I was attempting a "simple" oil change today. Ha!

My frame sump plug got cross threaded/stuck and ended up rounding all the edges of the hex head.

So I took it in to my LBS.

He fixed it but I think (hope) he's removed the large nut & hose beside it whilst trying to remove it.

I say hope because there is now a leak from that nut. Here's a photo of it.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

So the questions are:

A) what is the nut attached to

B) can I retighten as it is or do I need to do a full drain and oil change.

It's a small leak - maybe 10mls or so in a few hours - but a leak that wasn't there before nevertheless.

Thanks?!

That's the nut is for the oil screen (secondary filter). It should be removed every few oil changes, cleaned and inspected. It's always a good idea to check the filter screen after break in and anytime you do motor work. It does appear to have a gasket though http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/2 I would verify that the gasket was installed and then attempt to snug up the nut.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. You're a legend.

It does look as though the gasket is under the nut.

I might take it back tomorrow and have them snug it up, though. I only have an adjustable wrench that fits and the last thing I want to do is stuff up another bolt.

Thanks for that. You're a legend.

It does look as though the gasket is under the nut.

I might take it back tomorrow and have them snug it up, though. I only have an adjustable wrench that fits and the last thing I want to do is stuff up another bolt.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/576918-basic-oil-change-walk-through/?p=5539692

Thats the FAQ oil change walk through.. at the bottom of that article is a picture of the frame tank screen

Thanks Eddie. Yep, that's the part in question. I'm hoping it'll just need a half turn to snug it up.

It takes very little torque to get that fitting to seal..  If a very light snugging is not enough, the sealing washer may need to be replaced (or annealed), something deburred, ect