Sign in to follow this  

Owners Manual lost.

Comes up a blank page for me.

It is a PDF maybe it needs time to load .... I just clicked on the link and it loaded for me. 

It says every 8K but I myself would change it way more frequently depending on how long and how hard I was riding it. 

Oil is cheap and you can not change it too often ....  :prof:

• Like 1

It is a PDF maybe it needs time to load .... I just clicked on the link and it loaded for me.

It says every 8K but I myself would change it way more frequently depending on how long and how hard I was riding it.

Oil is cheap and you can not change it too often .... :prof:

WOW 8K That's crazy on a lotta levels!!!!

So far I've changed it at 300, 600 and plan to do it at 1K. After that I was gonna go every 500 but if they say 8K I may just do it every 1K.

• Like 4

If you rack up miles fast on the street then you can stretch it even further than every 1K . 

I changed at 600 and now have 1200 on the bike and would be changing now because winter is coming .... except for the fact it goes in for the 305 install soon and will get all new filters, oil and spark plug too. 

I ride mostly in town and at the local OHV park for single track trails and a small MX track. 

Trust me when I say this bike is not rode hard at all everything I do on it could be done on a old trail 50 lol. My thinking is oil is cheep and most days I only put 5miles on the bike with 20miles on the weekend so it takes me a while to rack up 1K.

I will add at times I do ride more but the above is my average.

Thanks for the help buddy.

• Like 1

Trust me when I say this bike is not rode hard at all everything I do on it could be done on a old trail 50 lol. My thinking is oil is cheep and most days I only put 5miles on the bike with 20miles on the weekend so it takes me a while to rack up 1K.

I will add at times I do ride more but the above is my average.

Thanks for the help buddy.

Your welcome .... If you put very very low miles on your bike then a good rule of thumb is to change it every spring and fall. Unless you have a very warm garage to store it in. 

I agree

does the manual not  give a mileage and time interval like most  vehicles ?

if you weren't going to hit 8k for 8 years   you would think the manual would have  at least once a year recommendation also  ?

Edited by Zimman

Your welcome .... If you put very very low miles on your bike then a good rule of thumb is to change it every spring and fall. Unless you have a very warm garage to store it in.

Yea I was thinking about changing it early if it took me too long to hit the 1K mark.

Looking back it took me from 8-15-13 to 10-22-13 to put 600miles on the clock and I know I had a couple weeks that I didn't ride at all.

I have had my bike for a year now and have just a little over 1200 miles on it. 

I do not ride it to work ... just play on it. I have no friends with dual sport bikes so it's just me and my boy on his CRF80F on the weekends when it works out. He rides on the back of mine around town just going out for lunch or what ever. 

I may invest in some Klim gear and try to get in some cold weather riding just so it does not have to sit the whole winter. 

• Like 1

I've had my bike since July 7, 2013. She has 2900 miles on her now. I've changed oil at 300, 600, and 2700. It was just starting to discolor at the 2700 change. I always go by color and not time.

If not used in the winter why change in the spring--no differance oil sitting in the engine or sitting in the can--cold weather does not effect oil?? Dare i go against O be Won?? Gnath?? I've always been a rebel :devil: :devil: :devil::p

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 1

If not used in the winter why change in the spring--no differance oil sitting in the engine or sitting in the can--cold weather does not effect oil??

That's what I thought. What not just change the oil each fall?

• Like 1

That's what I thought. What not just change the oil each fall?

That's what i do --using syn oil--i average just under  1000 miles a year now--to many TOYS i guess :excuseme:  if that is possible :banana:

If not used in the winter why change in the spring--no differance oil sitting in the engine or sitting in the can--cold weather does not effect oil?? Dare i go against O be Won?? Gnath?? I've always been a rebel :devil: :devil: :devil::p

I guess that could apply if you "stored" the bike for the winter but, I do not .. I always take it out a couple times per month or more if possible. I do not nor have ever claimed to know what I am talking about .... :p   but, This is what my Dad always did with the mowers and boats etc .... 

• Like 1

I guess that could apply if you "stored" the bike for the winter but, I do not .. I always take it out a couple times per month or more if possible. I do not nor have ever claimed to know what I am talking about .... :p   but, This is what my Dad always did with the mowers and boats etc .... 

I go away for the winter to Arizona and play with my desert toys--so i'm not around to start the CRF tho it did get a good dose of Stabil gas treatment b/f it goes to sleep for the winter--Actually the weather is still nice enough to ride this month but not usually--

I did mine at about 200, 500, 1k, and 2k.  Now Ill do it about every 1k or once a year, whatever comes first.  Personally if it comes to doing it once a year, I would do mine in the spring, before the hard riding season begins.  That way you know it has fresh oil for hot, hard summer riding.  I see no point in doing it in the fall.  If I take mine out in the winter it will only be a handfull of times.  There is no point in changing it in the fall if its just gona sit the majority of the winter.  Youll probably be getting a little condensation in the oil while it sits in the winter and is going thru warm/cold cycles, and then if you only change it in the fall and not the spring youll be running it with oil that could have water in it.  Put the fresh oil in it before you will be riding it hard, not before its getting ready to mostly sit for a few months.  Thats my thought anyway.  Thats also what I do with my GSXR, change it in the spring before the real hard, hot riding begins.

• Like 1

the point of doing it in the fall is to keep the contanaments from damaging the engine while it sits all winter--better to sit with fresh OIL!!

• Like 1