Sign in to follow this  

Remember When....

Motocross gear actually lasted? What the hell happened!? I don't care what brand I've purchased it falls apart within 6 months. I used to be able to buy a set of gear and have it last at minimum 2 or 3 years! Now a days the trash is falling apart after the first 2 or 3 uses. I went all out on expensive gear from K...m (protecting the guilty) and 4 months later the trash is falling apart.

Do these companies think we don't notice this? I pay for quality and I want exactly that! Quality! It doesn't have to last forever. But I should be able to expect a couple of years out of a set of high end gear. Seams coming apart after just a couple of rides is ridiculous.

I still wear my Roger De Coster boots.

Had them 20 years re soled 3 times

Why not call them out by name? If you're unsatisfied then give us the brand. 

Why not call them out by name? If you're unsatisfied then give us the brand. 

Klim? What do I win? Used holy gear? Fox has held up the best for me.

Why not call them up? I bet they would stand behind their gear and maybe send you a replacement. For the price they charge for their gear you certainly think they could afford it!

• Like 1

Made in China? 

It used to be that made in China junk was priced like junk.  Now they expect you to pay top dollar for that crap.

• Like 2

Made in China?

It used to be that made in China junk was priced like junk. Now they expect you to pay top dollar for that crap.

Exactly! I think my new approach will be to buy the cheapest crap I can find. Why not? Only gonna last a couple of rides anyway.

My Klim Dakar over the boot pants purchased in May are fading so the color looks all splotchy (not a big deal but still digs at me), the Velcro on the bottom of the legs where you can open them up and adjust for your boots is falling off in numerous places. The jersey even gets tapped by the smallest little tree branch hanging on a trail and it rips. This gear set looks 3 seasons old in a matter of months. I will say the gear has gotten quite a few rides on it but still!

Wife bought me a full Moose gear set last Christmas. Think I've worn the gear maybe 10 times. Jersey falling apart. Gloves fell apart on the second ride. The fly has fallen apart in the pants. Seat of pants is completely faded in color. Again, looks like 3 seasons of use with the few times I've worn it.

The three items I will however praise are..

1) Klim gloves - holding up way above expectations

2) Gaerne boots - solid product, tough as nails

3) Shoei helmet - comfortable, light, liner still like new after multiple washings.

Now if I could just get some pants and jersey that could hold up.

My one industries gear is trashed after 6 months, my msr pants finally ripped after 3 years but it was in a bad crash. Don't know if it was luck or quality but ill be giving them another shot

I got the same Klim pants and jersey. Not even a loose thread in over 3 years. They smell like an old gym bag full of burning hair but have held up great! Maybe not washing them is the secret! Just let the shit dry up and brush off the big chunks. LOL!

• Like 4

I got the same Klim pants and jersey. Not even a loose thread in over 3 years. They smell like an old gym bag full of burning hair but have held up great! Maybe not washing them is the secret! Just let the shit dry up and brush off the big chunks. LOL!

That must be it, don't wash it. I seriously think your on to something.

BAHA owned... internet trolls be trolling

I ride/race more then most people I know... I put 60+ hours on my bike this last season.... My gear holds up... Thor gear here I have had it for several seasons... I get 2-3 years or 200 hours at least on gear.

Helps to not crash so much ;)  the gear will last longer

I've got to agree with the original poster, the junk they're selling now a days is a complete joke. I was spared the burden of having to experience first hand because I have friends that do buy the new stuff and I see it falling all apart. I think I have a lot of you beat when it comes to boot. I own a early 80's Malcolm Smith all leather including straps boots. I've had these boots for 30 years now, and while I will say they have seen better days, they still fit and do the job. One lesson I learned the hard way was being able to distinguish the type of gear you get vs. what you really need. For example, some that like to ride desert, like me, shouldn't buy motocross gloves. You should for example get the most rugged gloves you can find. I recently went looking at boots at my local shop and nearly fell over when I saw nothing but motocross boots, and all made of plastic. For a second I thought I was looking at ski gear. Bring back the leather man! That raw hide is what keeps your hide from getting raw if you know what I mean.

• Like 2

I use fox gear an it's pretty hardy Iv fell off on the road in it an my fox pants still diddnt rip. 2 years N still going. My alpinestars boots an gloves however are a joke an don't last 2 minuets. Oh an I put my fox pants through the washing machine after every ride an they are unaffected.

I go through 2-3 sets of pants/jerseys a year...... I just buy cheap as possible closeout shit from RMATV and deal with it. It is what it is. One of my last set of Moose pants..the button ripped off the first ride. Bought a replacement pair and the crotch ripped open the second ride. Its the Sahara stuff so I guess it helped with cooling even more  :goofy:

• Like 1