Sign in to follow this  

Rubbing is racing!

Just wanted some separate thoughts on when you guys think rough racing goes too far. Personally I am a pretty competitive guy..I'm a strong believer in the title above.. But I'm also not the type of guy that flips out when someone gives me a taste of my own medicine. But I consider it to be too far when someone's goal is no longer to win/finish the race, but rather to focus on making your opponents race a living hell.

Edited by Silvan

When I am in a B class race and some idiot takes me out, costing me money and possibly hurting me, for a trophy and to feel better about themselves for winning something that means absolutely nothing, we have a problem.

Rubbing is racing when winning a race nets you a paycheck. If you're out there for fun or a $3 trophy, it is stupid and dangerous. That is exactly why I wait until everyone goes on a hare scramble start. Every time I try to go for the holeshot, some js7 wanna be plows me over and causes a pileup. I've replaced more parts from douche canoes thinking they need that exact same line at the exact same time I do. The track is 20 feet wide. Choose a different line.

• Like 1

I agree completely with you guys, I like a good competition, but if I ever notice the guy is just trying to cause a blood bath,I'll usually just let him by..I like my bike more than a $3 trophy :)

i think rubbing is racing at any point, banging bars and getting bumped off trail is fine by me, just makes me ride harder and usually better, now it's not when the person has a clear path around and they take the line most direct to come into contact with you.
in tight woods rubbing and bar banging is all the racing there is. it's either that or follow the leader. 

Edited by Theeebalz
  • Like 2

Agreed.

Some gentleman riders take on the reflex action of a great white shark when it bites something.

Their eyelids turn inside out and just start munching away.

• Like 1

I have been in many races, where you block pass, rub, bump, etc. it's all part of racing. As others said, it becomes a problem when it's intentional and takes someone down purposely. I was in a race one day and another rider was riding rough with me. I was in front and he kept hitting me. Each time it was harder. Next race, same thing happened. Third race of the day, same thing happened again. Last race of the day and he put me down. I went down pretty hard. The ref that day actually was watching and docked the kid his days points and banned him from the next weeks event. I lost my points too, but that was fine, maybe he would learn from his punishment. The week after his ban was over he tangled with another rider at a different track. Same situation. Only this time he whipped it at someone off a jump and the two bikes tangled. He went down and broke his femur, and the other kid saved it. That was the last time I ever saw him at a race.

• Like 1

Just wanted some separate thoughts on when you guys think rough racing goes too far. Personally I am a pretty competitive guy..I'm a strong believer in the title above.. But I'm also not the type of guy that flips out when someone gives me a taste of my own medicine. But I consider it to be too far when someone's goal is no longer to win/finish the race, but rather to focus on making your opponents race a living hell.

I think that if you believe in "Rubbing is Racing", then you pretty much deserve everything you get.

You are hoping that the person you "rubbed" has the same definition of "rubbing" as you do.  I have seen more than my fair share of 'contact', that the person contacted was upset because they KNEW for a FACT, that the person tried to "take them out".

Although unintentional "rubbing" happens, I do my best to not let it happen.  If someone came after me because of it, I would get away from them as fast as I can.  If they are faster...  I would pull off the track.  I don't go to the track to fight...  I go for friendly competition.  If its not so friendly anymore, I have no interest in being there. If its a fight I'm after, I can do that anywhere.

• Like 1

Rubbing is racing. If you can't tolerate it don't race. It comes with the territory, and is a part of the racing community.

Edited by MXWarrior323
  • Like 2

the problem with 'rubbing is racing', is you have no control over the people your racing. It's one thing when it's a friend or someone you ride with regularly, who you know you can trust. It's another when it's again some random 16 year old who won't pass with out running people off the track, and in general just riding like a douche. It's my opinion that people who think contact has to be a part of racing haven't been on the bike long enough to see the broken ankles, banged up knees, broken fingers/hands from 'bumping', all which happen with out even hitting dirt. It's not that I don't like close racing, it's quite an experience going side by side through ruts with someone being leaned over and pinched against them, taking away lines, running it in cleanly. but because of the guys who think cleaning you out, smashing you or running you off the track constitutes rubbings racing, or are willing to race more aggressively then their skills can back up, I can't trust anyone. 

• Like 2

Some people just take racing too seriously. A few weeks ago I was at a harescrable and i blocked a guy before he took out my buddies sun riding an 80. I saw it coming, this douche on a 250f was going for a block pass on a little kid.

After I cut the guy off he tried to take me out for the next 5 minutes or so. he was seriously just trying to hurt me, it wasnt even a fun battle. When I finally just stopped and let him go it was right before a berm. He thought he was going to T-bone me in the berm and when i stopped short of it he couldn't put the brakes on fast enough and flew off the high side of the berm. He landed rubber side down, but I bet flat landed they way he did hurt.

I saw the guy at the end of the day in the pits. I was going to confront him but he looked to be about 15. I figured there was nothing i could say to him or his parents that would make a difference. I just don't get why some people have to act like that when racing at the amateur level.

Rubbing is racing. If you can't tolerate it don't race. It comes with the territory, and is a part of the racing community.

Whats the point? With that kind of mentality the dirtiest racer has the best chance of winning. But it seems like people would get hurt a lot more often with that mentality. Most of the guy i race against are usually clean riders, but there are 1 or 2 guys in the area that piss everyone off buy trying to bang bars constantly.  

Whats the point? With that kind of mentality the dirtiest racer has the best chance of winning. But it seems like people would get hurt a lot more often with that mentality. Most of the guy i race against are usually clean riders, but there are 1 or 2 guys in the area that piss everyone off buy trying to bang bars constantly.  

main difference i see is people being douchenozzles is classified as rubbing, no thats classified as well; being a douchenozzle. finding a line around someone and coming to some mild contact unintentionally isn't by anymeans a problem in my book. theres a real fine line ya know?

• Like 1

The series I race, if they catch you playing rough, you are kicked out and aren't allowed back for several weekends. Get in a physical altercation with a rider and you're banned for life. Its a smart policy because we have children/kids, teen's, 20 somethings and older people riding on the track at the same time. It becomes chaotic at best if someone is trying to be the hero in morning practice and runs over some poor kid on an 85 who is just trying to deal with the mud/ruts. I've seen parents come to the aid of their kids after they've been run over and literally pick up the guy who ran their kid over and punch them. Its that sorta mentality we need to stop in this sport...

People get really upset when others do dickhead moves on them and likewise, they should. But thats half the fun, pushing hard to get that guy back and maybe in the next moto, beating them.

I was taught, what happens on the track, stays on the track. Get over it, or go home.

Edited by tye1138

My post is 100% true. And is one reason i love racing.

What do you think when i say rubbing is racing?

Banging bars in the corners? Plowing over anyone in my way? Killing the new kid?

What you need to do is step back and realize what "rubbing" means....

Rubbing is racing to me means, don't be afraid to get close to someone, and maybe have some light contact. But be a gentleman and don't just take em out.

Now I've taken people out, and I've been taken out. Its part of racing. If your not a douche about it all, then all is good.

I've also delved into riding rough... I use to block pass all the time in superminis, and i use a back wheel sweep block pass on the big bikes now. Does that make me a dirty rider? Not in my opinion. I do it, and expect it in return. It dont bother me.

Dirty is when you are a jerk, take someone out, try and interfere with their lines, and be as dickheaded as possible. Be a gentleman and all is good.

• Like 1

My post is 100% true. And is one reason i love racing.

What do you think when i say rubbing is racing?

Banging bars in the corners? Plowing over anyone in my way? Killing the new kid?

What you need to do is step back and realize what "rubbing" means....

Rubbing is racing to me means, don't be afraid to get close to someone, and maybe have some light contact. But be a gentleman and don't just take em out.

Now I've taken people out, and I've been taken out. Its part of racing. If your not a douche about it all, then all is good.

I've also delved into riding rough... I use to block pass all the time in superminis, and i use a back wheel sweep block pass on the big bikes now. Does that make me a dirty rider? Not in my opinion. I do it, and expect it in return. It dont bother me.

Dirty is when you are a jerk, take someone out, try and interfere with their lines, and be as dickheaded as possible. Be a gentleman and all is good.

I concur