Breaking in new bike

I just bought a 2013 250sx. Guys at the shop said its been started but I think I need to do some heat cycles. Any suggestions?

I just bought a 2013 250sx. Guys at the shop said its been started but I think I need to do some heat cycles. Any suggestions?

Yes... it needs a few heat cycles.   Why trust what the dealer says.   Besides, just starting it isn't exactly a break in.

Run it kinda hard and get it hot, cool down, repeat a few times.

Start bike, ride bike. You'll get all kinds of information on this but it doesn't really matter. Do a search and you'll see it's like picking engine oil, everyone has an opinion, I've never done anything special and I've never had a problem. I believe that you have a short window to seat the rings and excessive idling or not riding keeps them from seating as well as they would if you just got on it and rode it. 

My dealer told me to do three heat cycles and supplied me with a break in tank of fuel. If I remember correctly my manual says 1/4-1/2 throttle for the first hour, then 1/2-3/4 throttle for the next, maybe 3-4 hours before wot? Something like that anyway...My 150 is the only new bike I've ever had, might be the only new one I ever get so I wanted to be careful on the break in and I was. I've put about 30 hrs on the bike this year, and I've ridden everything from tight singletrack to moto, in fact I haven't even changed the plug, it's been flawless. Congrats on the new bike....

Edited by poldies4