radiator cap warning

Ok... You know these caps will pop off around 215-225 and that's normal. Your bike will will only loose all it's coolant by boiling and steaming out. Your coolant doesn't just come out. Your rad pump actualy pulls it threw the cooling fins and if your stuff is unstable and steaming at every wich direction it is going to come out. I have had bad caps before and there is allways coolant left over. It's just once you let your temp out of control you don't have the extra pressure to supress anything above what your coolants boiling point is. Once your engine starts pumping steam that alone can damage a cap.

I had a bad radiator cap on my new bike, also.  Luckily, there was lots of steam from the overflow so there was no serious engine damage.  Got it replaced under warranty.  I just figured somebody had a bad cap and went into the dealership and did the old switcheroo.on the dealership floor.

how did you arrive its the cap fault ? did you test it somehow

I tor the bike down and put a new top end in and a new pv vent hose because the motor got so hot that it burnt the pv vent toob in half. then i filled with coolent and started the bike about 45 sec after coolant was rushing out of the over flow so i turned it off. waited for it to cool down took the cap off the coolant level dropped below the fins to a non visible limit so i toped it off and order a new cap and the bike runs like a champ no coolant out the over flow. perfect

I tor the bike down and put a new top end in and a new pv vent hose because the motor got so hot that it burnt the pv vent toob in half. then i filled with coolent and started the bike about 45 sec after coolant was rushing out of the over flow so i turned it off. waited for it to cool down took the cap off the coolant level dropped below the fins to a non visible limit so i toped it off and order a new cap and the bike runs like a champ no coolant out the over flow. perfect

That really didn't answer anything regarding his question. Yes, the coolant level will drop due to air in the system after its been completely drained...

lol you always find a way to say i did something wrong munk

No, we're just curious how you came up with the idea it was your radiator cap?

It's a good idea that you are purchasing a new cap. Its one part that is overlooked by many people who they boil there bikes over. Once the cap has popped, it's done and should be replaced..... I would even consider a 1.8 if that's not what comes stock. Another thing to consider is something like Evans Coolant, maybe even a fan as they work great on those extremely technical areas....

• Like 1

After getting a new radiator cap, I switched to Engine Ice and put a 12 0z. ketchup condiment bottle in my airbox as an overflow reservoir.  I bought the squeeze bottle at Fred Meyer and drilled 2 holes in the top of the bottle.  Then I ran the radiator overflow hose along the frame to the bottle in the airbox and another hose from the overflow to the original overflow fitting in the steering head.  If it ever gets hot enough to overflow 12 oz and still pump coolant out and onto my exhaust, it's time to shut things down.  Never had any problems with overheating since I did these changes.  Some guys just strap a turkey baster to the radiator as an overflow reservoir and run the radiator overflow hose to it.  I don't understand why KTM doesn't have a radiator overflow on the woods models, makes absolutely no sense.