Sign in to follow this  

Drifting Outside Over Rut on Turn Exit

I am having trouble drift to the outside on the turn exit and going over the rut. What is the usual cause of this? I try to tilt my head, point toe to wear I am trying to go but on the exit bike is going over outside of rut. Is case of me not committing and staying leaned over on the gas?

I have a lot of stuff I need to do better but this is a main one that stands out.

You are popping out of the rut to the outside is that what you mean? Is the rear end staying in for a bit after the front is out? Might try standing up longer going into the rut. Smooth throttle. Check bike setup too. Sag and rebound

I am having trouble drift to the outside on the turn exit and going over the rut. What is the usual cause of this? I try to tilt my head, point toe to wear I am trying to go but on the exit bike is going over outside of rut. Is case of me not committing and staying leaned over on the gas?

I have a lot of stuff I need to do better but this is a main one that stands out.

If you are pushing out of the rut most likely you are looking at the rut in front of your tire and trying to keep it in physically. Keep your eyes far ahead to where you want to go, not where you are. The bike will follow the rut on its own.

You are popping out of the rut to the outside is that what you mean? Is the rear end staying in for a bit after the front is out? Might try standing up longer going into the rut. Smooth throttle. Check bike setup too. Sag and rebound

What he said with throttle control. Smooth roll on power is key. If your choppy with the throttle the bike will stand up.

If you are pushing out of the rut most likely you are looking at the rut in front of your tire and trying to keep it in physically. Keep your eyes far ahead to where you want to go, not where you are. The bike will follow the rut on its own.

I think this is what I am doing. I always end up with the front outside the rut and the back tire in, bike want to slide along the rut screws me up and wastes a bunch of energy. I guess I have to train myself to stop looking at the rut and trying to "place" the tire in it.

Try leaning the bike over more. I find that if the bike is not leaned over enough it will try to pop out of the rut to the outside of the corner.

As has already been stated, (I can't verify this without watching you ride) sounds to me like you are looking at where you are rather than looking where you want to be.  Look as far ahead as possible.  You and the bike will go where you are looking if physics will allow it.

An advanced technique that will help once you teach yourself to look ahead... learn to drag the front brake while turning in the ruts.  You need to learn this slowly for obvious reasons.  You can start in a straight line on good dirt, slightly applying the front brake while twisting the throttle.  As you progress with more front brake and more throttle stay in tune with how the front end feels and the whole motorcycle for that matter. 

I have a lot of stuff I need to do better but this is a main one that stands out.

Riding ruts (berms) well is an advanced technique. When dealing with these deep rutted lines in the track there is little to no room for error.  To do it correctly you have to have all the basics down and have a lot of seat time under your helmet.  Some of the keys to pay attention to are; getting lined up ahead of time for the entrance of the rut, controlling the front and/or rear brakes until the transition (where you go from braking to accelerating) then controlling the clutch and throttle and controlling the lean of the bike.  Also try to look ahead up around the berm a little ways not just in front of the fender.  Stay loose with your upper body so you can quickly and easily move from side to side in order to keep your balance. These key points should help but remember it does take a lot of practice to get good in berms.  In July 2011 I released a new DVD called Motocross Bermed Corners from my 2011 Volume 3 Series. See a free preview, order a DVD disc or Stream at; http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-5-motocross-berm-corner-techniques/ 

MX Berm Corner box cover 240.jpg

Advice here payed off. I watched Gary's video a couple times this week. I got some practice in Saturday taking an turns an making myself look ahead. Also tried dragging the front brake, first just going straight and then a little in turn. I did almost throw myself over the bars when I grabbed too much.  Today at the track there was not many people so I repeated and rutted turn section over and over. Kept telling myself not to look at the berm but ahead around the turn. When I do it it works and a couple times hit the corner perfect.  I still have work to do as 3-4 I still made the mistake drifting over top the rut/berm. I tried dragging the front brake and I can see it definitely helps, I just have to take it slow with this technique.

Thank you all for the help, I think I am on the right track to correcting this issue I my riding. I have to keep telling myself not stair right in front till it becomes habit. This will be easier said than done.

Advice here payed off. I watched Gary's video a couple times this week. I got some practice in Saturday taking an turns an making myself look ahead. Also tried dragging the front brake, first just going straight and then a little in turn. I did almost throw myself over the bars when I grabbed too much.  Today at the track there was not many people so I repeated and rutted turn section over and over. Kept telling myself not to look at the berm but ahead around the turn. When I do it it works and a couple times hit the corner perfect.  I still have work to do as 3-4 I still made the mistake drifting over top the rut/berm. I tried dragging the front brake and I can see it definitely helps, I just have to take it slow with this technique.

Thank you all for the help, I think I am on the right track to correcting this issue I my riding. I have to keep telling myself not stair right in front till it becomes habit. This will be easier said than done.

Awesome! Yeah, it takes time, but you're on track now and you recognize what the problem was. Good luck. :thumbsup: