Sign in to follow this  

TTR50 bike won't start, bad CDI?

Hi all, I'm new here... I have a 2012 Yamaha TTR-50. I bought it used two months ago and have been enjoying watching my boys use it. I went to take it out last weekend and it wouldn't kick-over. The worse part about this is that it started when i left the house. I drove 4 hours to go riding. When we arrived it wouldn't start. Talk about disappointment.

The start motor works fine. At first I was thinking it was just flooded. I then checked the spark plug and what I've noticed is that it only creates a spark when i first push the start button or when i release the start button. If i just hold down the start button and let the starter motor crank there is no spark. I replaced the spark plug with a new one but this didn't change anything. I would think the coil would be fine since I'm seeing a spark when i first push/release the start button, but thinking possible the CDI may be bad with the erratic nature of the spark . Any thoughts would be helpful before i go spend $100 on a new CDI. The starter motor will not engage unless i have it in neutral and the kill switch is off along with the ignition in the on position so I think i can rule those items out since the start motor is engaging. I've also check the battery and its fully charged.

Yeah, i've reviewed the connections and nothing found yet. Going to try testing the coil with a OHM meeter to rule that out as a problem.

Well I figured out the problem. It was the CDI as I had suspected. I ended up testing the coil and the ohm's seemed OK, i decided to swap the coil i had on a Chinese ATV that appeared the same and put it on the TTR50. It still had the same results as before. This is when i concluded the coil was working fine. The only other thing left was the CDI by process of elimination. I end up dropping around $100 for a new Yamaha CDI. Plugged it in and the thing started right up like it was new again. Thank heavens that mystery is over. Now i just hope it doesn't happen again. I can't afford a new CDI from yamaha every couple of rides. 

• Like 1