Best 2stroke offroad bike?

I'm in the market for a new bike right now & have been seriously thinking about getting back on 2strokes. I'm on a budget at $2k on the low end & $3k on the high end. I'd like to have money still once I get the bike to go ahead & do suspension off the rip. I've always had MX bikes that I've set up for the woods, so no worries there. To be able to find an offroad 2stroke bike in my price range would be a bonus, but they are far & few between. So MX or offroad ready, what's everybody's personal choice & why? Thanks

KTM 300

KTM 300

This

Yz w/295 kit.

A low buck KTM will be really old, really worn out or both.

Maybe a GasGas 300 or a YZ with a 300 kit on it, although I have no idea what the 300 setup costs.

You won't find many KTMs for $3k. The also handled like poo before 07. They can be made to work but I found myself on the ground more then riding. Any clean 250 2t can be found for under $3k and their all good.... I think the 00/01 CR 250s are great bikes if you can find one, as are the 02-04 YZ 250s.

You won't find many KTMs for $3k. The also handled like poo before 07. They can be made to work but I found myself on the ground more then riding. Any clean 250 2t can be found for under $3k and their all good.... I think the 00/01 CR 250s are great bikes if you can find one, as are the 02-04 YZ 250s.

Like 'monk said...Any of the older 2t MX bikes can be very good, relatively inexpensive "woods" weapons. Don't forget any of the KX 250s(94-98, 99-02, clear up to 07). I prefer the KX 250...Lots of 'em around, not as popular as the CR or YZ, can be had for a song, & work just as well. You can get better aftermarket lighting components for the CR & YZ. You can swap a KDX trans into a KX for an offroad beast, although aftermarket lighting coils suck.

Sherco :excuseme:

Sherco :excuseme:

Those are rare items, in my neck of the woods. Would love to have a go on one.

Those are rare items, in my neck of the woods. Would love to have a go on one.

You probably wouldn't want to give it back :ride:

Monk, where do you live? Here in the southeastern part of the US $3k can get you a newer bike (2 or 4). I've been seeing a lot of 08-11 Ktms with all the goodies for 2700-3500. Of course I'm not planning on paying someone's sticker price, so hopefully I can get it into my range. I'm defiantly not getting a bike older than 08, unless it's a yz. I'll compromise there. I've seen some real good deals that are a bit of a drive, Kentucky, Ohio, Mississippi, but like I told my riding buddy, I'll drive for the right bike. I live north of Atlanta, so the inflation is a bit more on bikes in my area compared to these rural areas.

Like 'monk said...Any of the older 2t MX bikes can be very good, relatively inexpensive "woods" weapons. Don't forget any of the KX 250s(94-98, 99-02, clear up to 07). I prefer the KX 250...Lots of 'em around, not as popular as the CR or YZ, can be had for a song, & work just as well. You can get better aftermarket lighting components for the CR & YZ. You can swap a KDX trans into a KX for an offroad beast, although aftermarket lighting coils suck.

My cousin has an 07 kx250. Bought it new & loves it. He sold his kxf for that one. He's a big Kawi fan. I've never been a fan of Kawi. A few years ago I did get a nice kxf250, but I never felt great on the bike. It had an awesome motor, but chassis, ergonomics just didn't flow with me. Good to know though about the swaps. Thanks

There are so many options for two strokes, love to try a RM 250 set up for the woods.

There are so many options for two strokes, love to try a RM 250 set up for the woods.

I do like RMs. I had a few 125s & an rmz450. I've always liked Suzuki because my dad raced them, so of course growing up that was the brand I stuck with for a long time. I love how they handle. Never rode the 250 though, what's the good years?

I do like RMs. I had a few 125s & an rmz450. I've always liked Suzuki because my dad raced them, so of course growing up that was the brand I stuck with for a long time. I love how they handle. Never rode the 250 though, what's the good years?

I cant say personally since the last time I ridden an RM250 was in 1988

There are plenty of threads about RM250s in here, I think the last couple of years  were the best?

I know of a local 10 model 250xc you could get for just a little over 3k. You could get a nice japanese smoker in that price range. I had an 02 YZ I paid 2k about five years ago that looked new, sold it four years later for 1800.

With a budget of 2 grand you should have no problem finding a decent used Kawasaki KDX 200 or 220 for slightly under that. I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this bike. I'd stick with 95 or newer and try get the newest one you can afford. Bang for the buck you CANNOT beat a KDX for a 2 stroke off road bike and it won't need all the addons an MX bike will need like a heavy flywheel weight and low gearing to be comfortable in the woods. You can modify a KDX endlessly to suit your needs, there's a wealth of information on these two websites. Check em out.

www.frpoffroad.com

www.kdxrider.net

Find a nice, well maintained KDX and set it up for you and you'll have a bulletproof trail machine that will last a very long time and be a formidable weapon in the woods. Good luck in your search.

My suggestion would be to try and find a good 03-05 YZ250 in the 2k area and spend the other 1k on a suspension revalve/top/low end rebuild if needed. The last thing you want to do is spend your max and need to drop more into the un-expected. The YZ motor is very broad and usable for offroad, parts are very easy to get and the aftermarket is very good as well.  

CR500