First Service Questions

When I purchased my bike (August, 2014) I received a coupon from the dealer for a "First Service" discount. It states:

Service performed may vary according to vehicle type and service requirements. Price includes parts and labor (tax additional). Average cost of this service is $109. Special with coupon valid at time of service is $50 plus tax. Good for one year from purchase date.

Service items listed:

Oil and filter change

Inspect/adjust clutch

Inspect/tighten bolts

Charge/test battery

Inspect/fill all fluids

Service air filter (replace for $35 more)

Inspect/lubricate suspension components

Inspect or replace spark plug(s)

Inspect/adjust brake system

I've read on here from gnath, and others, that this bike is probably insufficiently greased/lubed from the factory. Will someone list all the parts that need to be greased/lubed? I'm at 580 miles and want to schedule the service ASAP. The bike is stock, has never been off road yet, ridden fairly conservatively. Are there any other items not on the list above that need to be checked?

The only things I've ever done are check the tire pressure periodically and put gas in it. TIA ....... Paul

Typically anything that moves; i.e. axles, rear shock bits, head bearings

axles and wheel bearings

rear suspension linkage

rear swing arm bearings

steering stem and bearings 

Thanks Gary, that's what I was looking for. I didn't want to sound like the "mechanically challenged" person I am when I call the service department. Hopefully, that is all covered in items listed (above) on the service coupon, but I doubt it since the normal price is indicated to be $109. Also, a belated thanks for the Garne boot recommendation, I haven't bought them yet. I tried them on, wore them for 30 minutes, VERY comfortable to walk in, almost like tennis shoes! If you have them, how does that gum rubber sole wear?

The Gaerne's are doing good but to be honest .... during the summer and riding in town I have had my Fox shoes on most often. Only wore the Gaerne's when I went to the trails and now starting to wear them again in the colder weather.  I feel as tho they will last and the boots are of such high quality they may be able to have new soles put on if needed ...  :excuseme:

A full lube job will not be included in your first service. I don't know what a Honda dealer would charge for this but, I am sure it won't be cheap. My guess is at least 2 hours labor.

I personally doubt the integrity of dealership shops. I would rather get a good manual and do the work myself. It is good to get to know your own bike inside and out and keep an eye on what has been and needs to be done. I.e. linkage bearings, wheel bearings, steering stem bearing. It is a good idea to keep a log book. Take pride in your sweet new ride!

I just sent an email to the dealer, hopefully I'll soon know the extra charges. As I recall those boots are re-soleable, which is why I'll buy them. Time to start looking for my own Tracin (sp?). Any advice where to look? I thought of googling/contacting local motorcycle clubs/teams. There must be a Tracin clone in my parallel universe known as Salt Lake City. Maybe he knows someone here?

I personally doubt the integrity of dealership shops. I would rather get a good manual and do the work myself. It is good to get to know your own bike inside and out and keep an eye on what has been and needs to be done. I.e. linkage bearings, wheel bearings, steering stem bearing. It is a good idea to keep a log book. Take pride in your sweet new ride!

The dealership is a multigenerational owned and operated business. Initially, for this first service, I am going to trust them since I dealt with one of the owners, Russ Steadman. He is third generation, and a down to earth, personable guy. I plan on getting the shop manual, I've always bought them for my cars. I believe in see one, do one, teach one. I just have ZERO experience with motorcycle maintenance/repair. I could probably do it all myself with the manual if I HAD to. I want to learn about the bike, but I don't have a teacher, so hopefully they will allow me to watch as the service is done so I can ask LOTS of questions.

Mine when in for its 1st service at the dealer I bought it from and came back with scratches on the tank! It took a bit row to get a new tank. I only took it in to keep the service book stamped, but since then I've decided not to bother. After all, 2 services a year is about £300 a year, lets say I keep it 4 years, thats £1200 just to be able to sell it with full service history. FSH on a 4 yr old bike doesnt add £1200 to the value!

It makes much more sense to spend about £200 on oil and filters over 4 years and do the work myself, saving a grand! Greasing, checking stuff and doing valve clearances costs nothing.

The dealership is a multigenerational owned and operated business. Initially, for this first service, I am going to trust them since I dealt with one of the owners, Russ Steadman. He is third generation, and a down to earth, personable guy. I plan on getting the shop manual, I've always bought them for my cars. I believe in see one, do one, teach one. I just have ZERO experience with motorcycle maintenance/repair. I could probably do it all myself with the manual if I HAD to. I want to learn about the bike, but I don't have a teacher, so hopefully they will allow me to watch as the service is done so I can ask LOTS of questions.

Good to hear you have a positive relationship with your dealer/shop. I wasnt trying to knock your mechanical knowledge or ability. I just enjoy wrenching and saving money doing so. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of older friends with years and years of experience and knowledge that are willing to teach me.

I appreciate the analysis Johnny. I was there years ago (read: decades ago, time really does fly by), when I had more time than money. Now I've got enough of the latter to "buy" some of the former. These days I really only do what I want to do, but I will do those things that take less time to do myself than to transport to a service tech.

Time to start looking for my own Tracin (sp?). Any advice where to look? I thought of googling/contacting local motorcycle clubs/teams. There must be a Tracin clone in my parallel universe known as Salt Lake City. Maybe he knows someone here?

Ask around your local MX tracks and such .... try to find some hard core dirt bikers ...  they will know where to go.

That's all I did ... I was surprised when I mentioned his name to Chris from Race Tech as the installer for me .... and Chris new who he was from the races ...  :thumbsup: