Sign in to follow this  

Rear shock options for PE175 82-84

I am looking for rear shock options. The stock shock I have is wasted. The manual says its not rebuildable. Some old thread here say it is but I cant find any kits or seals for it.  The shock looks the to be the same design  as the 82 Rm shocks and I see kits available for them.  Anyone been through this already?

I would contact works performance. Ive heard they can rebuild xr200 shocks which are non-rebuildable. That should give you hope. RM's of that era had longer travel, so even if it fits, geometry of everything will be altered, effecting slider life, handling, etc. Theres also fullfloater.com who might be able to help.

Edited by ickfinger

I am looking for rear shock options. The stock shock I have is wasted. The manual says its not rebuildable. Some old thread here say it is but I cant find any kits or seals for it.  The shock looks the to be the same design  as the 82 Rm shocks and I see kits available for them.  Anyone been through this already?

The Full Floater Shock is rebuildable.   i serviced mine on a 82' RM250 many times.    The stock piston stack works well but the design is unique and you cannot do much to modify the damping.

I am taking mine apart very soon to install a Racetech Gold Valve...I will shoot you some pictures.

If you to Works Performance website, they list the shock length of most oem bikes (That I looked at).  Look for bikes with a similar shock length, then of those, find the bike closest to yours in weight and type of riding used for, and then newer and hopefully "better" (MX shock or similar).  Can then look for those oem shocks. 
FWIW  WP shocks are very good if you can afford them.