Sign in to follow this  

Pricing Dirt Bikes KBB or NADA

I'm looking to buy my first dirt bike and I've been checking the prices of used dirt  bikes that I'm finding on Craigslist on Kelly Blue Book and Nada and Nada is always quite a bit lower then KBB. Is one more accurate with their suggested retail then the other?

Thanks!

In reality, Craigslist is a better indicator of value than KBB or Nada as it's real world in your area. Just make sure you shop around before you buy to know you are getting a good deal.

It doesn't really matter what KBB or Nada say. If they say a 2005 YZ250 in average condition is worth $2k, but all in your area are $3k+, then that is the market.

• Like 1

i agree with woods-rider, but I think banks usually go by nada to loan you money,  at least in my area and the banks I deal with, I trade and sell a lot and sometimes I get a lot more then kbb says and sometimes a lot less. just depends on the market at the time

+1 on craigslist being a good indicator on value, but keep in mind the prices you see are the asking price, not the selling price. More often than not the selling price is going to be a few hundred or more less. 

You can also look on ebay at the completed listings and see how much bikes have actually sold for. But it's not as accurate as checking craigslist, as the majority of vehicle sales are on craigslist locally. Ebay might have one or two guys willing to pay more than they should and shipping it.

yep craigslist,is a better indicator of whats gonna sell,I see quite a few nada priced bikes never get sold,quite a few bikes that as so low there has to be something wrong with it,as some still aren`t selling.

NADA..

National

Auto

Dealers

Association

Private party sales cannot sell for NADA pricing because they're not dealers. See KBB private party pricing.

i agree with woods-rider, but I think banks usually go by nada to loan you money,  at least in my area and the banks I deal with, I trade and sell a lot and sometimes I get a lot more then kbb says and sometimes a lot less. just depends on the market at the time

You should NEVER take a loan to buy a dirtbike. Just buy one in  your price range. There are decent bikes anywhere from $1,500 to $11k+ and if you can't save up $1,500 then riding isn't the sport for you.

You should NEVER take a loan to buy a dirtbike. Just buy one in your price range. There are decent bikes anywhere from $1,500 to $11k+ and if you can't save up $1,500 then riding isn't the sport for you.

Agreed I know a couple of people who wanted to pick up riding take out loans for bikes then couldn't afford maintenance on them. Now they have broken down bikes in their garages they can't afford to sell or repair.

I don't take loans out on dirtbikes, I was talkin about cars, trucks, street bikes,... they all go off nada on a loan.

New guy here. When selling most say craigslist for pricing pattern, when buying most state NADA Loan. A good price is what you want to pay for it. I have sold several for 200% more than value on craigslist (trucks) and bought off craigslist way cheap. I went with buddy who wanted to buy a 1965 Impala priced at $6000. Guy needed money to bail wife from jail. Leo my buddy bought for $1900 the amount to bail wife of guy selling car. Cash is king and situations set value. I never needed to sell anything so got good value.

Now I did pay more than KBB or NADA for the 2006 CR250R that I own but paid the same amount for it as I sold a 1995 Z71 regular cab pickup with 308,000 miles on it. So I figured I basically swapped and I am happy.

Looks good sitting in garage wish I rode it faster than half throttle and 2nd gear. hehehe. 

My opinion is gather up the cash you want to spend and go look at bikes and make cheap offers, the saler can not eat you or kill you and you can get the most out of your money. Take someone who knows dirt bikes with you as a 3rd baseman and to tell you hey the other one was a better deal.

If person that has bike negotiates then that means they are motivated salers. Be nice and never rude and do not say someone owns a turd to get cheaper, just describe what you feel you would have to do to get bike to the level you want and negotiate price according to be a good deal for you to buy.

I know if I have something I do not want anymore and someone is nice they get it cheap. If they try to be cool, tough or a know it all they pay me like I am the bossman. Smile and be nice and honest about concerns you see with the bike.

Heck ask guys on here that live near you for deals on bike for you. They might hook you up if you are honest and polite, and respectful.  

Also looking for a steal is not always a better option because a lot of people nowadays sell things cheaper if it has an underlying problem such as trasmission problems. You can get good deals just make sure you have good judgement when looking at something that seems like a good deal. For example, ive been to a few as is auctions and a couple of bikes ended up not being able to shift past 3rd gear but they make the bike look nice and pretty

I would recommend taking someone with you who is knowledgeable about dirtbikes to check it out.