Sign in to follow this  

switching oil

Was wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to switch to synthetic oil on a bike that has never had it in it, and the bike is an 03 XR400. Also just bought a new CRF150f and CRF125f and was curious if I should change the oil after the first ride? Thanks in advance for any info.

The XR will be fine. Just be sure to change it every 600 miles. :ride:

Not sure what to do with new bikes since all mine are old.....come to think of it....I do not think I have ever purchased a brand new dirtbike.

I would change the oil after the first rude on the new ones and then after that if you're just trail riding change it every 7.5 to 10

• Like 1

Rotella t 15-40 for the win...it's cheap and good oil. I run in in both sides of my crf450x

It doesn't matter, you can even mix synthetic and regular oils, that is what a synthetic blend is.

Was wondering if anyone knows if it is ok to switch to synthetic oil on a bike that has never had it in it, and the bike is an 03 XR400. Also just bought a new CRF150f and CRF125f and was curious if I should change the oil after the first ride? Thanks in advance for any info.

one of my homies jus use used cooking oil in his xr400

cooking oil wont do, to the op syn oil will be ok. i know a guy on here who has a 150f as well. johncrf150f maybe he will chime in soon  :cool:

Changing to synthetic and changing it after one ride is a waste of money...period

I asked my shop about using synthetic in my TTR-230 as I always use syn. in my car. They said a blend is fine and full synthetic would be a waste of money and/or could hinder clutch performance due the oil being too "slippery."  

True or not I may switch to a blend to save some $$$

I asked my shop about using synthetic in my TTR-230 as I always use syn. in my car. They said a blend is fine and full synthetic would be a waste of money and/or could hinder clutch performance due the oil being too "slippery."  

True or not I may switch to a blend to save some $$$

Synthetics aren't anymore slipperly than convensional oils as long as you use MOTORCYCLE OIL.  If you use regular 10W-30 made for a car's motor, it'll protect your motor but not your clutch plates--the oil has to have friction modifiers in order for the clutch to work effectively. 

Synthetics hold their viscosity better, so odds are less that you will leak oil by it being thinned out from use. 

Zero worries with plain old petroleum oil. Just like your oem manual says. Zero.

Yep....what he said. ^^  Just follow what the manual says (to the owner of the TTR).