Sign in to follow this  

New DRZ400sm owner... Some questions

Hey guys. I was yapping here a few days ago about picking up a DRZ400sm and here it is.

2009 DRZ400sm with 2500+ miles for $3000.

Has stock tires on it and needs new tires NOW lol. I see the white things inside the tire....

I am kind of paranoid about the bike, just bacause I thought he woulda done a tire swap by now if he cared.

I rode it for 2 hours that way to get it home. Ran just fine, so I guess it's all good. Tomorrow I will take it to a shop and do an oil change and get them to check it out all around I guess.

I heard great things about Michelin Pilot Power, but every single website I ran into didnt have them instock. I thought maybe they stopped making them in USA, but I found it on http://www.shadetreepowersports.com/product-p/50-457.htm so Ill call them to make sure they have it in stock. I dont know what the difference is between that and the 2ct version.

And one more thing.... before this I had a 2011 ninja 250r as my first bike. So when I am riding this I feel kind of uncomfortable about the idea of taking it offroad because I feel like the tires would just slide and Ill fall or something.... Buying sports tires like the pilot power doesnt help me feel better either since it doesnt look like a tire that should go offroad. Can anyone make me feel better lol?

20131023_172928.jpg

20131023_172915.jpg

20131023_172939.jpg

Nice looking bike, especially for a great price. 2Ct is a double compound tire. Just about everyone I know rides on them. As for oil changes I would recommend doing them yourself. Quick easy job and saves a lot of money. (for future mods that is). Well anyways welcome to the forum, and don't be afraid to ask any questions. Best Regards– Austin

Nice looking bike, especially for a great price. 2Ct is a double compound tire. Just about everyone I know rides on them. As for oil changes I would recommend doing them yourself. Quick easy job and saves a lot of money. (for future mods that is). Well anyways welcome to the forum, and don't be afraid to ask any questions. Best Regards– Austin

Thanks bro.

1) what is double compound? :/

2) For doing oil changes on my own I thought I would need lift which I dont have yet. Plus I thought maybe it would be a good idea to let the shop do it so that they can check out how everything else is looking in the mean time? What do you think I should do?

Thanks bro.

1) what is double compound? :/

2) For doing oil changes on my own I thought I would need lift which I dont have yet. Plus I thought maybe it would be a good idea to let the shop do it so that they can check out how everything else is looking in the mean time? What do you think I should do?

Double compound means the rubber in the middle is harder and will wear longer than the rubber on the sides which will be sticky to grip in the corners better, but will also wear faster.

Oil change can be done with some sort of oil catch pan and some basic hand tools. No lift needed.

Double compound means the rubber in the middle is harder and will wear longer than the rubber on the sides which will be sticky to grip in the corners better, but will also wear faster.

Oil change can be done with some sort of oil catch pan and some basic hand tools. No lift needed.

Thanks, should I not take it to a shop for a checkup?

And when it comes to offroad with these tires, should I just ride normal without fearing itll loose grip and slide out? I am just new to this supermoto thing, or bikes in general i guess since I have only owned a ninja 250r before this.

Edited by turkspartan

I took mine out on the dirt and gravel yesterday, stock sm tires. Just go slow at first, you'll get the feel of it and eventually you will get comfortable going faster.

where at in virginia? also i have the bridge stone s20s and love them! they are a dual compound tire... try motorcyclesuperstore.com they have the s20s as well as the pilot powers in stock...

I took mine out on the dirt and gravel yesterday, stock sm tires. Just go slow at first, you'll get the feel of it and eventually you will get comfortable going faster.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

where at in virginia? also i have the bridge stone s20s and love them! they are a dual compound tire... try motorcyclesuperstore.com they have the s20s as well as the pilot powers in stock...

Near Tysons corner. Zipcode: 20194

And when it comes to offroad with these tires, should I just ride normal without fearing itll loose grip and slide out? I am just new to this supermoto thing, or bikes in general i guess since I have only owned a ninja 250r before this.

Taking it to a good bike shop and having them give it a once over isn't a bad idea if your not overly confident or have a lot of mechanical know-how. Even if you do, a second set of eyes won't hurt. The oil changes are very easy though so you might want to save a bit of money and do that yourself.

If your new to off road, you will just want to be slow and careful. Also your used to street bikes which probably means your used to using a lot of front brake. In loose gravel or anything slick this will cause you to wash out. Be especially careful with the bigger front rotor on your sm. They aren't very forgiving off road. Instead try to use your rear brake.

Honestly, your feelings are right. Sport bike tires suck horribly in actual off road, as they are meant for pavement. A gravel / dirt road is not off road. Try riding some on actual off road tires, and you'll see the difference. Similarly, knobbies kinda suck for anything like pavement. It all comes down to what you are going to be using the bike for, sport tires might be the ticket for you and your riding needs.

If you plan on doing lots of off road, I'd have two suggestions:

1. Get dual sport tires. I've heard good about Distanzias, but have never used 'em.

2. Get another set of rims. I have 17 inch rims with sport tires, and a set of 21/18 inch rims with dirt tires. Quick easy switch between dual sport dirt bike and supermoto.

Taking it to a good bike shop and having them give it a once over isn't a bad idea if your not overly confident or have a lot of mechanical know-how. Even if you do, a second set of eyes won't hurt. The oil changes are very easy though so you might want to save a bit of money and do that yourself.

If your new to off road, you will just want to be slow and careful. Also your used to street bikes which probably means your used to using a lot of front brake. In loose gravel or anything slick this will cause you to wash out. Be especially careful with the bigger front rotor on your sm. They aren't very forgiving off road. Instead try to use your rear brake.

Thanks for the great advice.

Honestly, your feelings are right. Sport bike tires suck horribly in actual off road, as they are meant for pavement. A gravel / dirt road is not off road. Try riding some on actual off road tires, and you'll see the difference. Similarly, knobbies kinda suck for anything like pavement. It all comes down to what you are going to be using the bike for, sport tires might be the ticket for you and your riding needs.

If you plan on doing lots of off road, I'd have two suggestions:

1. Get dual sport tires. I've heard good about Distanzias, but have never used 'em.

2. Get another set of rims. I have 17 inch rims with sport tires, and a set of 21/18 inch rims with dirt tires. Quick easy switch between dual sport dirt bike and supermoto.

Ill see what kind of riding I will be doing as I am not too sure yet. Another set of wheels sound great though!

Is there a cheap clutch lever I can buy for now? I know the zeta or w/e is supposed to be good but I dont plan on spending $50 or w/e it costs since I have a big list of other things to do for now.

Like this? Will it work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ400S-SM-00-11-Street-Clutch-Lever-Silver-/170852708664?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27c79d7138&vxp=mtr

I'm on an '06 400SM which is basically stock. 
I take it off road very regularly, everyone is right about the street tyres being very unforgiving. 
Packed dirt or gravel is a breeze, but anything loose will give you some trouble. 
Avoid sand at all times. 

Great advice on taking it easy on the front brake. I made the switch from an '01 R6 straight to the DRZ and that was the first mistake I made. 

Hey guys. I was yapping here a few days ago about picking up a DRZ400sm and here it is.

2009 DRZ400sm with 2500+ miles for $3000.

Has stock tires on it and needs new tires NOW lol. I see the white things inside the tire....

I am kind of paranoid about the bike, just bacause I thought he woulda done a tire swap by now if he cared.

I rode it for 2 hours that way to get it home. Ran just fine, so I guess it's all good. Tomorrow I will take it to a shop and do an oil change and get them to check it out all around I guess.

I heard great things about Michelin Pilot Power, but every single website I ran into didnt have them instock. I thought maybe they stopped making them in USA, but I found it on http://www.shadetreepowersports.com/product-p/50-457.htm so Ill call them to make sure they have it in stock. I dont know what the difference is between that and the 2ct version.

And one more thing.... before this I had a 2011 ninja 250r as my first bike. So when I am riding this I feel kind of uncomfortable about the idea of taking it offroad because I feel like the tires would just slide and Ill fall or something.... Buying sports tires like the pilot power doesnt help me feel better either since it doesnt look like a tire that should go offroad. Can anyone make me feel better lol?

pilot powers are great STREET tires. you will most definitely get slapped down by them on gravel, dirt, or any kind of slippery surface. this can be a dirt road, does not have to be anything close to actually no-road. consider finding a set of 21/18" wheels later on for your real NOROAD adventures. 

in the mean time, see the FAQ section for upgrades, fixes, and shielding the very fragile side cases before going NOROADing. ;-)

notice i'm not saying 'off road', because so many kids call a dirt strip wide enough for a dozen 18 wheelers 'off road'. 

if you want to do a winter/summer swap of tires and enjoy some very good traction consider a set of shinko 244's (aka goldenboys). they're a great comprimise tire for 50/50 on/no road riding. 

most importantly , just enjoy the new bike. don't worry about farkles, horsepower, stupid stickers, or 3 mile wheelies. 

enjoy it ;-)

I have the michelin you speak of ok off road its the small front wheel that will catch you out with that big front brake as mentioned above. Avoid the mud and steep hills. You will either become a better rider off road or you will destroy your bike.  Good luck.

Second set of wheels is a great idea, however a bike you don't care about is better(scratching). I ride xr400 off road mostly but the go button sure is nice on the drz.

I have the michelin you speak of ok off road its the small front wheel that will catch you out with that big front brake as mentioned above. Avoid the mud and steep hills. You will either become a better rider off road or you will destroy your bike.  Good luck.

Second set of wheels is a great idea, however a bike you don't care about is better(scratching). I ride xr400 off road mostly but the go button sure is nice on the drz.

don't worry, the drz can handle the falls and mistakes just fine. it's just a portly wannabe dirt bike anyway. 

a scratched piece of plastic can be replaced in 5 minutes or less, or a whole set in 30. no biggie. :)

Thanks for all of the great advice guys, but I have one more thing boggling my mind.

I have found videos and stuff on valve adjustment/check, but the part that no one really mentions is, what is its SIGNIFICANCE? I never had to do this before this bike. Since I got this used bike at 2500 miles I am just going to assume the guy before didnt do it and that I should. I thought it would be wise to know why I am doing something before I actually do it.

And what is meant by having a dirty carb? I got my hands on the manual so I am now starting to read it and than will jump straight into the FAQ's in this forum.

thanks for all of your support. :)

And one more thing.... before this I had a 2011 ninja 250r as my first bike.

Off topic to some extent but this is a good  opportunity for me to ask a specific question  

Re: your impression of the performance of the Ninja 250 and the "SM on pavement. How do they compare?

What are the similarities. What are the differences that you notice?

I just bought a 2006 250 Ninja project bike that had a blown motor so I never rode it. It is my intention to put it back together with either the origional motor, a 500 Ninja motor or a 650 Ninja motor.

So I was wonder how you would compare them.

Tony

Off topic to some extent but this is a good  opportunity for me to ask a specific question  

Re: your impression of the performance of the Ninja 250 and the "SM on pavement. How do they compare?

What are the similarities. What are the differences that you notice?

I just bought a 2006 250 Ninja project bike that had a blown motor so I never rode it. It is my intention to put it back together with either the origional motor, a 500 Ninja motor or a 650 Ninja motor.

So I was wonder how you would compare them.

Tony

Well, the ninja 250 is much slower than the 400sm for sure. The drz400sm has BALD as bald can be tires right now so I cant really go WOT, but it is still faster than the ninja. So if you dont want anything slower than the DRZ than dont put a 250 engine in it.

I hear great things about being able ot take the DRZ to the twisties, but the ninja was light weight and could handle the twisties really well too. I can't be of too much help right now until my michelin pilots ship in.

ninja250r goes 0-60 about 2 seconds slower than the drz.

Edited by turkspartan
  • Like 1

Thanks.

You've been a lot of help. I thought if they were similar in performance I might just repair the 250 motor temporarly and ride the bike until I found a suitable complete Ninja 500 to take apart for it's motor and carbs. Now I guess I'll just wait until I find that 500 or an Ebay 500 motor and carb setup.

Tony

Well, the ninja 250 is much slower than the 400sm for sure. The drz400sm has BALD as bald can be tires right.

Keep running till the chords show!