Will running flashlube help with valve recession 350exc-f

After 20 years out of the saddle, I bought a XR4 earlier this year, and absolutely loved getting back in the swing of things. I loved the tractor like torque, but the suspension let the old girl down. So I've just taken the plunge and bought a 2014 350 exc-f. Pick it up tomorrow ? I've read on these forums somewhere, maybe the CRF section, where they use Flashlube in the fuel to help valve recession. I've been running it in my sons 2012 WR250, so my question is.....Should I run it in my new bike? Will it affect the injector? Or is it a waste of time? Any input appreciated.

Best thing you can do is keep your air filter clean. If its a petroleum based lube it will just add more carbon deposits which is what you don't want. Av gas helps at saving valves but is unkind to spark plugs and especially O2 sensors.

Did some research. I didn't realise it wasn't readily available in the USA, so you guys might not know much about it. I've been using this product since the mid 90s when fitting LPG systems. But the FAQ's say it's ok for injected engines. Might ask my local Ktm dealer. http://www.flashlube.com/en/products/valve-saver-fluid.htm

if really worried about valve recession, leaded race fuel. it produces talcom powder lead oxide flakes which cushions valve seat contact. Course on a diesil that wouldnt work. An oil that produces alot of burn ash, course most oil nowadays they are limiting the ash.

But on a big diesil, I dont know why you'd worry about it, Ive not heard any big issues. Id think diesil fuel being so oily and dirty, would naturally create some valve cushion.

Think about this a second. What happens when a filter gets dirty? It traps more dirt. Cleaning a filter does not make it filter better it allows better air flow. Before you react, think about it fit a while.

Think about this a second. What happens when a filter gets dirty? It traps more dirt. Cleaning a filter does not make it filter better it allows better air flow. Before you react, think about it fit a while.

It also has the effect of choking off airflow does it not? After that dirty air can enter the path of least resistance like a un greased sealing flange . I know what your saying but I'm not buying  it.

This is very true, as a filter collects particles (dirt in this case) it becomes more restrictive and at some point significantly reduces the flow of the medium being filtered (in this case air), the filter become so good that it even filters out even the air!

Widebear also has something of a point which really leads to the point I would make which is ...........

Properly servicing a filter is of up-most importance. Far better to service it well (even if less often) then to service it often but poorly. It's not about how clean as much as correctly.

I know the RFS intakes were soft and receded into the seats but I thought the later motors were holding adjustment very well.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

There was a guy a while back who disconnected a evap hose that went to an intake airboot on his particular bike, as a result the bike was sucking in unfiltered air through this tiny hole. He totally trashed his intake valves in about 5,000 miles.

So that would be an exmaple of dirty air going into a motor and how it would effect valves, But I agree,whether an airfilter is dirty or clean, wont have alot of effect on valves. Now a test of big disiel trucks many years ago in a dirt enviorment showed free flowing filters like k@n, allowed alot more dirt through than the standard oem type filter.

There was a guy a while back who disconnected a evap hose that went to an intake airboot on his particular bike, as a result the bike was sucking in unfiltered air through this tiny hole. He totally trashed his intake valves in about 5,000 miles.

So that would be an example of dirty air going into a motor and how it would effect valves, But I agree,whether an airfilter is dirty or clean, wont have allot of effect on valves. Now a test of big disiel trucks many years ago in a dirt environment showed free flowing filters like k@n, allowed allot more dirt through than the standard oem type filter.

I'm certain that we all fully agree that dirt entering the motor any which way is a very bad thing but to say, and I have seen it in many threads, "keep your air filter clean" misses the point. It should also be known that all oiled foam filters are not created equal, in some cases the OEM is superior for filtering dirt to some aftermarket.

To the OP, has anyone had valve issues with a properly serviced new age motor? Sometimes it's folly to try and prevent a non-issue.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

Thanks Bruce. All I wanted to do is protect my new investment to the best of my ability. I had to toss up between the 300 2 banger and the 350. I chose the 350 as my riding style has changed as I've got older and like to use torque and lower RPMs (let's hope it's got as much torque as my Xr, maybe I should have got the 500exc!) But obviously the 350 requires more matainance. If you think that valve recession is a non issue, as my dealer does, I won't bother fussing. Cheers

I hadn't heard of it being a problem in fact it was my impression they held valve adjustment/clearance very well.

May not have as much torque and especially flywheel effect (what's a few stalls with Estart anyway?) but soooo much better in sooo many ways.

Congrats on the new ride!

Bruce

Edited by BDM