xr600 oil out of crankcase breather ?

You have to check it with the bike upright, let it idle for 1 minute or so after riding, shut it off and wait 2-3minutes, then check level. You may have more oil in it yet than you think.

How high of rpm you talking of for 50 KM? maybe a little taller gearing is needed to drop the arrr's down for long highway jaunts. Sometimes a person can get away with a 1 tooth bigger front sprocket for riding to the trailhead, then when you get there, a quick swap to a 14t gives better trail manners. Depends on the bike is it's easy to swap without a big hassle or chain change. I've gotten away with it.

Edited by jjktmrider

So left the bike over night qnd the oil moved up to about a quarter up the stick I then warmed up the bike an d toped up qnd went fora quick ride and it is constantly dripping little droplets out of both ends Off the breather???

I have my doubts that you are doing this correctly..First up..Leave the bike in a more or less upright position over night. In the morning with the bike sitting straight up and down undo bolt number 24 in the below fiche.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2714403&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1996&fveh=135308

Once it's out let whatever oil that's going to come out of that bolt hole come out. Once the oil is level with the bottom part of that bolt and no more oil comes out replace and do up the bolt. Now start the engine,,Take the motorcycle for a five minute ride. When you return shut the motor down. With the bike upright and your seated on it undo the oil dipstick. Wipe it with a rag. Put it back in the dipstick hole and rest it on top of the hole,,Do not screw it in. Withdraw the dipstick and check the level. It should be between the halfway and full marks..If it isn't top it up till it is. Put the dipstick back in..Take it for another 5 minute ride,,When you get back shut the bike down and repeat the process of checking the oil level at the dipstick..Report back on oil dripping from pipes when you have done that.

I have my doubts that you are doing this correctly..First up..Leave the bike in a more or less upright position over night. In the morning with the bike sitting straight up and down undo bolt number 24 in the below fiche.

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2714403&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1996&fveh=135308

Once it's out let whatever oil that's going to come out of that bolt hole come out. Once the oil is level with the bottom part of that bolt and no more oil comes out replace and do up the bolt.

What is the purpose of doing that? If the engine has a seeping anti-drainback valve in the oil pump as many RFVCs do, pulling the sump check bolt will drain a lot of the engine oil. If the oil isn't overfull on the dipstick after the engine comes up to temperature, then there is no reason to drain any out. :excuseme:

Edited by HeadTrauma

I believe it only needs to be run for a bit till warm , then shut off, wait couple minutes and check. If no oil or low, it needs oil and isn't overfilled. So why is it blowing oil? Sounds then like the case is being pressurized somehow. Isn't there a little valve or something on the breather tube to stop oil from being sucked out ?

Is the breather setup on the bike stock or cobbled together?

Edited by jjktmrider

What is the purpose of doing that? If the engine has a seeping anti-drainback valve in the oil pump as many RFVCs do, pulling the sump check bolt will drain a lot of the engine oil. If the oil isn't overfull on the dipstick after the engine comes up to temperature, then there is no reason to drain any out. :excuseme:

mmm..I simply assumed if you had too miuch oil in the top it has to go somewhere so it goes into the bottom. Undoing that gearbox drain or level bolt would then get rid of it thus you know whats in the bottom is the correct amount while what stays in the top is what's supposed to stay in the top meaning the levels should be right. Course after draining whatever I think is excess from the bottom I'd be running the engine to recheck the top level..think I said that. ,If I'm wrong or misguided fair enough.

What is the purpose of that bottom level bolt then..??,,You plainly don't pull it out with the engine running,,so what is it for?? :excuseme:

Edited by Horri