Sign in to follow this  

Best head light to run

Hey all! I am a new owner of a old bike( (98XR4) I am wondering what the best head light to use. I am wanting to try to plate this bike in Kentucky.  Any help would be great.

Also I have changed the oil and filter,the,air filter with a UNI and adjusted the chain. I am going to adjust the valves.

What is the clearance for the valves and what else should I do to get the bike ready?

thanks again...by the way I am 6"4"" and 240lbsIMG_20131015_153133_916.jpg

Thanks for the help.  I really like the trail tec but cost almost what I paid for the Bike!!!

The stock head light is a 35 watt so I do not know if the polisport would be any brighter.

If you want DOT legal AND have it be somewhat useful. Get the Baja Designs enduro headlight with H4 bulb. It has a glass lens so at a later time you could put a HID set up in it or a bigger H4 bulb and not worry about melting anything. If all you need is to pass an inspection and do not plan on riding at night, get whatever you think looks decent and has a H4 bulb so you have the required Hi and Low beams. You will also need a off/low/hi switch for it if you don't have one now.

Thanks for the help.  I really like the trail tec but cost almost what I paid for the Bike!!!

The stock head light is a 35 watt so I do not know if the polisport would be any brighter.

I should have clarified.. get the polisport and put a brighter bulb 90/100w H4 in or get a $20 HID kit off ebay to go with it. That is what I did. Or you can do a projector HID mod like I did on my new bike, or get an AUX light to go with. How much $$ do you want to spend is the real question?:???? If you want to run LED or HID you will need to get a rectal-frier and capacitor or battery.

http://dx.com/p/fandyfire-f-l2-7-x-cree-xm-l2-t6-3-mode-4000lm-white-bikelight-headlamp-black-4-x-18650-254336

This AUX light is $65 and ridiculously bright... you can hook it directly to 12v if you want or run it off the batt pack if you don't have a rectifier. I run it and it works extremely well, just mounted on the bars. Probably 2500-3000lumens

Edited by n16ht5

Mich 400 thanks for the Baha tip I think I will go with that. One other question.....will my stock stator run a brighter light? say a 55w?

I have to do this on a budget but do not want to through my money at junk eather.

where can i get a hi/lo switch that is easy to hook up

Mich 400 thanks for the Baha tip I think I will go with that. One other question.....will my stock stator run a brighter light? say a 55w?

XR400 will run a 55/60W H4 bulb but not much more. It will dim just slightly at idle but go up to full brightness when driving. Polisport Halo is a decent unit as well, I just prefer the BD unit because of the bigger reflector ( = more useable light).

Look on Rocky Mountain MC/ATV for the Tusk bar switch. $29.99. BD headlight will be around $90 with the 10% discount. About the best halogen set up you can get without going to the 8" race lights or some home brew set up. Upgrade to HID later if you want for around $50-60.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/44/54/227/1156/-/25861/Tusk-Compact-Control-Switch-With-Headlights