Sign in to follow this  

Buying New 200

Hey guys, I am in the market to buy a brand new 200 xc-w. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on what year model I should look for. Im not really fond of the looks of the newest bikes (2011-14). although I know looks arent that important. I also dont know how I feel about electric start. I have access to 2009-2014 brand new bikes. Dont know if any of these particular year models are superior to the other.  Any input would help thanks allot. John

Edited by JWC29020

I don't know about the later years.  But I know since 2008 and up the handling got much better.  So I would think you can't go wrong.  I just bought a used 2007 200xc and it's more of a tractor than my cr250 was in the low end.  Over here know body likes  the w because first gear is unusably low. Iv'e also read people can't tell a whole lot of difference between the two.  I do like the look of my 07 over the newer styles, but would trade it for a newer bike for the overall handling.  I think you'll be happy with any 08 and up!

Ok thanks allot for your imput. I actually already own a 2006 200xc-w but its time for a new bike. Why did they add e-start seems like a bad idea on a 200??

I have a '13 200 with E-start - it's the best thing in the world when you are stalled out on a steep rocky hill and and are doing everything you can just to stay vertical (and not slide back). Bang, hit the button and go. I have read some posts about it really being a re-starter and not a starter, but that has never been true for me. Works like a charm every time. Good luck in your search!

I have a '13 200 with E-start - it's the best thing in the world when you are stalled out on a steep rocky hill and and are doing everything you can just to stay vertical (and not slide back). Bang, hit the button and go. I have read some posts about it really being a re-starter and not a starter, but that has never been true for me. Works like a charm every time. Good luck in your search!

More than once I've read about the 2 stroke eStarter being a "re-starter" and not a true electric start system.  Personally I think it's bull and just a case of some people making excuses for it not working very good on a cold bike.  I think that if it has it then it should be able to start the bike ~ hot or cold.  That said, my '12 300XC-w wouldn't start very well even when it was warm, so I started using a battery tender after every ride and that helped.  Then I stopped using the tender and bought a Ballistic lithium battery and that worked better but still wouldn't start it stone cold.  Installed a JD jet kit and that helped when it was "kind of" warm.  Just recently I installed the newer (and more powerful) '13/'14 250/300 starter and now it might crank for a little bit but my 300 will now start stone cold off of just the electric starter.

I believe that the 200 uses the same "newer & more powerful" starter that the 250/300 uses.  So with good jetting and a fully charged battery I believe that the eStart 200 should fire up stone cold with just the button.

I had a chance to ride the entire line of 2014 XCWs the other weekend and my favorite bike was the 200.  For me personally though I would probably stick with the 300 for racing.  As for the E-start, I loved it!  It was on every single XCW and a few times I came in a little hard on the brakes and I stalled the bike but without missing a beat I hit the button and was continuing on, including on the 200.  Having never used a bike with E-start I will say that was my favorite feature on these new bikes.

Damn - making me want to sell my 2000 for a new one! hahaa.. There have been times I really wished for estart. In particular that time when you're sitting at a stop light and it stalls out or something. Then you gotta kick it while bastards in back of you are getting all pissy. hahahaa

And the times when you stall it on a steep hill climb - would be nice to be able to start it while standing on the rear brake!!

What about excessive weight (battery and all), and bar clutter? no issues in that area?

Edited by JWC29020

What about excessive weight (battery and all), and bar clutter? no issues in that area?

I did not notice any excessive bar clutter, the e-strart button is exactly the same as a kill switch button except it is next to the throttle/front brake.  As for the weight I cannot comment since I have never ridden a 200 without e-start, however my 2006 300 (no e-start) feels heavier than the 2014 with e-start.

Edited by MotoX178

My dad bought a 2013 KTM 200 XC-W back around Jan. 2013.  The bike has been amazing.  The jetting is spot on from the factory.  We have done the normal mods so everything is to his liking.  I currently ride a 2011 YZ 250 2-stroke that is set up for hare scrambles.  I around 240 when dressed.  I have ridden the bike twice and all I can say is it's amazing.  Its like riding a 250 with the weight and feel of a 125.  You can sit there and go slow and easy all day or you can get on it and haul a**.  It will do what ever you want.  We put a Rekluse in it which made it that much better.  The E-Start works great.  We have had no problems with it at all.  It starts the bike when its cold with no issues.  The bike has only been kick started twice since Jan. and that was by me just for the hell of it.  I would sell my YZ and get a new 200 in a heart beat.  Anyone want a bad a** YZ set up for woods lol.