Sign in to follow this  

Install DRZ 400 E 2004 Cam Chain Tensioner on a DRZ400E 2001

Hi all,

I bougth a "new" drz400E (2001), after reading the FAQ i know i should take care of some stuff and i have some doubts  regarding the CCT. I would prefer to use a ACCT as i am newbie to motorcycle mecanic and have locate a 2004 one for a fair price. So the questions are:

1) How do i know if the last onwer as already put a new ACCT, is there a way to see if i have the original ou a after 2003 one?

2) If i buy the 2004 ACCT can i just put it on or do i need to do all the stuff that is needed for the MCCT change (tdc,etc,etc)

Regards,

Vsaltao

Don't even bother with any automatic tensioner. Just get the MCCT. The ACCT puts excessive constant pressure on the cam chain which leads to premature wear.

• Like 1

Don't even bother with any automatic tensioner. Just get the MCCT. The ACCT puts excessive constant pressure on the cam chain which leads to premature wear.

+1, and the MCCT will be just as easy to install.

The original style cam chain tensioner will have a 10mm hex head access plug.  An aftermarket manual cam chain tension will have what looks like a 8 or 10mm threaded bolt stock out.  You can see the threads.  The newer style automatic cam chain tensioner has a larger hex access plug.  Not sure of the hex size, maybe 14mm or 17mm.

Yes you can easily change out the old auto tensioner for the newer style auto tensioner.  The caution is - have the motor at Top Dead Center (TDC) so the valves are all closed and there is no strain on the cam chain.  Remove the old tensioner.  Remove the spring from the new tensioner. Install the new tensioner, install the spring and cap. Done.

Thanx  for the answers.

So i guess i have to take it to my mechanic as i dont have yet the skills to open it to check for TDC.

There are various ways to find TDC compression.  The most reliable for an inexperienced person so to remove the motor top cover and look at the cam lobe positions.  Your mechanic can probably do it by feel in about 10 seconds.

The tdc is not something a normally do just to remove the tentioner, just make sure you dont try and turn the motor over, with the tensioner missing.

Spud - not good advise.  If a valve spring is acting on the closing side of the cam lobe, it reverses the pull on the cam chain (tires to turn the crank backwards) and can skip a tooth.  The cam chain tensioner should only be removed when all the valves are closed and there is no pull in either direction on the cam chain.  No so important on 360 deg twins or 4 cylinders, (there is alway something opening and closing) but is important on singles an 180 deg twins.

• Like 2

The tdc is not something a normally do just to remove the tentioner, just make sure you dont try and turn the motor over, with the tensioner missing.

As stated, bad idea for the reason Noble provided..

Skipped timing chain teeth during MCCT installs in the early days is specifically WHY the recommended install guide say to go to TDC