Sign in to follow this  

Small truck with the longest bed?

I'm looking into buying a small truck to haul my bikes. However i'm concered that the bed length won't be enough to easily put my YZ250F(measuring at about 7ft long), Are there any trucks long enough? Would i be able to close the bed? Thanks

Even full size trucks have a 6 foot bed unless you get an 8 foot. You have to put the bike in kinda sideways to close the tailgate

Rob

So the length of the bed does not include the tail gate down? I know that may sound incredibly stupid but I know next to nothing about trucks

Most trucks now days come standard with a 6' bed. Many crew cabs (4 door models) have the option of a 5.5' bed. Virtually all full size trucks have the option for an 8' bed. Not sure about small trucks though. All these lengths are with the tailgate closed. Even in a 5.5' bed you can close the tailgate if you put the bike in at an angle (if you only have one bike that is).

In the small / midsized, my Frontier with a crew cab has a 5' bed, it's almost 7' with the tailgate down.  I think the extended cab comes with a 6' bed.  Toyota Tacoma and Chevy Colorado have similar dimensions.  You can get a crew cab Frontier and Tacoma with a long bed option.

Almost all Rangers have a 6' bed.  I don't think they offer the long bed 7' version any more.  And yes, standard truck bed dimensions are with the tailgate closed.  Buy a bed extender and it adds almost 2' to your bed length.

S-10's and Rangers both had 8' bed options. Neither of those would be available in a extra cab, standard cab only. I'm assuming your looking at a used truck, of course. The S-10's, standard cab, 8' bed, 4.3l, manual trans, will get decent gas mileage, but it's gonna be a very basic truck (no frills) and by now, it would be hard to find one in decent shape. If you are looking at a more modern truck (5- years old) I would recommend just buying a 6 cyl F-150 or Chev 1500. Small motors in a basic package, with an 8' bed are/were available, they are reliable and the fuel mileage won't be terrible. The Ford, since 2004, will have the nicest cab configuration, but still just a standard cab. The Ford would have a small door to access the area behind the seat for easily packing away your gear.

I haul two bikes in my single cab short box s10 all the time. you can only have one in there and you have to kick it sideways to close the tailgate though.. and it gets really cramped with 2 guys 2 bikes and all the gear, but still pulling 26mpgs going down the freeway with all that. I can live with it!

I haul two bikes in my single cab short box s10 all the time. you can only have one in there and you have to kick it sideways to close the tailgate though.. and it gets really cramped with 2 guys 2 bikes and all the gear, but still pulling 26mpgs going down the freeway with all that. I can live with it!

I have the same truck, try it with 3 guys their gear and 3 bikes.... It's like playing tetris

I have! Lol that's exactly what it is like! Not to mention all that weight makes it a interesting drive!

Never drove a 4 banger s10 but the Vortec doesn't even notice :)

Also your profile pic is bad ass lol

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz