Sign in to follow this  

Bike shakes on straight aways?

Ok guys I am new to TT so take it easy on me. I have a 06 crf450r. Minimal mods.

In my last couple rides I have noticed that my bike shakes pretty badly when I get it going on straight areas (where I have the best chance of noticing) I have changed my swing arm bearings and greeced the linkage and wheel bearings. Rims are good also. How can I tell if my triple clamps are bent (might sound like a dumb question but I am seriously) also is there any chance it's a fuel issue. I have a full fmf exhaust power bomb header and factory 4.1 slip on with not jet work. And have never cleaned my fuel filter.

Help please. No need for rude responses. This is my second crf450 and I love this bike. But admittedly don't know as much as most of you guys on here.

You IDIOT!

Sorry, you set you self up.....

Your description is way too vague.

What exactly shakes, when, and how.

You could have an internal problem with the counter balancer, a loose flywheel, mud inside one of your rims....you just have to get more specific.

Your front wheel bearings out? When the bikes in the stand can you shake the front tire and find any play?

Edited by Diggla117

Lol yah I did krannie but I'll take that. Least u were kidding. I see a lot of guys getting eatin up on here and it makes it tough to wanna post anything.

Any how I've had the front wheel off to check the bearings. Also before that I checked for play in the wheel and it all seemed good. I had a crash prior to this and I bent my bars and twisted the wheel out of alignment. I did my best to straighten the forks back up and replaced the bars. As close as I can see. Everything seems straight. Is there a chance I bent the steering stem in the trees.

I know this post is vague. But it hard to explain the wobble I'm getting. Not a side to side. More like back and forth if that makes any sense

I'll give her another hard go over and get back on this.

Thanks so far

Where are you riding it when this is happening? Flat road, straight away at track, ect

On gravel roads. Where I live sometimes I have to hit gravel roads to get from trail to trail. That's the only time I notice it. 4th 5th gear speeds

Another dumb question here.... If the forks got tweaked. Is it just a matter of loosening off the forks from the triple clamps. Realigning and off you go. Or is there more to it? I guess I should take the forks right off and take the clamps off and inspect the bearings.... They likely could use some grease at the least anyway. (To answer my own question lol) I read on another thread the 08 triple clamp was a good upgrade for the 06.

I guess I just am curious if the triple clamp could be the reason my bike shakes. And if u guys might have any other ideas y this is happening.

Dude, you are going around in circles.

First it shakes, and now it wobbles.

Can you ride the bike with no hands? Does it drive straight?

Are the wheels true?

Is the rear wheel installed straight?

Is your steering stem too loose?

You keep mentioning bearings, but don't answer the questions about bearing slop....

• Like 1

Sound like you may have a flat spot on a wheel or wheel out of true radially

• Like 1

Another dumb question here.... If the forks got tweaked. Is it just a matter of loosening off the forks from the triple clamps. Realigning and off you go. Or is there more to it? I guess I should take the forks right off and take the clamps off and inspect the bearings.... They likely could use some grease at the least anyway. (To answer my own question lol) I read on another thread the 08 triple clamp was a good upgrade for the 06.

I guess I just am curious if the triple clamp could be the reason my bike shakes. And if u guys might have any other ideas y this is happening.

Dude no. Loosen the tripple clamps barely. Not enough to drop the forks. Then stand over the front fender and twist on the bars while your legs are holding the tire straight and try to get the tip of the front fender in line with your front wheel. No taking apart and inspecting bearings. If your bearings are gone you can shake the tire or handle bars and feel that while the bike is still intact.

Dude no. Loosen the tripple clamps barely. Not enough to drop the forks. Then stand over the front fender and twist on the bars while your legs are holding the tire straight and try to get the tip of the front fender in line with your front wheel. No taking apart and inspecting bearings. If your bearings are gone you can shake the tire or handle bars and feel that while the bike is still intact.

There's a better way, loosen everything up, hold the front brake in and compress the forks thru the entire length of travel a few times and everything will straighten itself out

There's a better way, loosen everything up, hold the front brake in and compress the forks thru the entire length of travel a few times and everything will straighten itself out

Appreciate the advice. I think my method is quiet easy but If I ever have any problems I'll be sure to keep this on mind.

Shake or wobble sorry krannie didn't realize that was two completely different things...

I like that idea of pressing the front break in and bringing it threw the travel a few times. Will try that Forsure. And when u mean the tire not being straight do u mean the read tire. Cuz I haven't checked that since I did the chain and sprockets.

Thanks guy.

Rear

You gave me lots of things to check. As simple as they are I needed a second opinion.

Thanks!

If you are riding on roads naturaly there should be some vibrations (knobby tires on pavement). But my best guess is you have a flat spot in your rim or maybe a tire thats bolging making the shape of the tire weird and its not rolling correct.

Edited by rmz250pry1