Please kids dont do this.

I found a 89 CR 250 on craigslist.( yes it is an 1988)..yeah like I needed it but hate too see a bike just being mistreated. I Emailed the and settled on a good price. He even brought it to me. 

He had bought it for a winter project from a neighbor hood kid. he was going to rebuild it but decided he was not willing to take the chance.

He told me the guy he bought it from(kid) had ridden it but decided to rebuild it...he had it bored and then stuck a stock piston in it. he siad the kid rode it but said it would not run and was down on compression..haha..I guess so.

I tore it apart and this is what I found.

IMG_20131024_125547_495_zps428147d3.jpg

IMG_20131024_125554_207_zpsaede7a13.jpg

IMG_20131024_125616_155_zps5eb848d1.jpg

IMG_20131024_125619_990_zps3ebcdcac.jpg The bores measures right at 67mm. The 66.40 looks way small but the pictures are kinda showing worse that it really is. You can tell the bike never cranked after he stuck the new wiseco in the engine....good thing too..The bore is good. Just needs the correct piston and it should be fine.

I checked the water pump and it is also fine...bad picture I know but was laying over th bike to try and take it. It is really okay..

IMG_20131024_125600_437_zps060380a0.jpg

How it sits now...I should have gotten a picture of the almost new narley pipe that came with it...with no dents...

IMG_20131024_130600_297_zpse651b43e.jpg

. The bike is complete except missing the radiator louvers. I would like to remove the paint the kid spayed on the tank...maybe goo be gone..i dunna yet.

here is a picture of it listed...yo can see the narley pipe in these.

IMG_20131023_223405_379_zps2c371f11.jpg

IMG_20131023_223355_973_zps2e87de27.jpg

Edited by Blackwoodz

Looks like its in fairly decent shape...how much did you pay?

H e started out asking $450.

H e started out asking $450.

That's awesome! With a price like that you've probably got alot more in the budget for repairs. And since it doesn't need much, you can pretty her up :)

Looks to be a nice find!

btw, for those craiglist photos, you should be able to just save the picture to your computer, rather than take a picture with a camera. Worst case scenario you can use the built in "Snipping Tool" (hit start and start typing to search for it) to take a selective screenshot.

Its going to be a loaner...or used for bartering. I promise it will be running right and reliable. I would like to find a blue seat cover and some blue fork boots for it.

Looks to be a nice find!

btw, for those craiglist photos, you should be able to just save the picture to your computer, rather than take a picture with a camera. Worst case scenario you can use the built in "Snipping Tool" (hit start and start typing to search for it) to take a selective screenshot.

they were just on my camera and auto loaded to photobucket. Just showing what it was when i got it. It had about 15 foot of electrical looming like you see on the rear brake line. That stuff was all tossed immediately. :goofy:

I think the 88 was all red, seat cover and all.  That is if you are looking to make it look stock.

yup, the 88 was the Red bike.  I liked that year, it had a low seat height and decent forks. Good desert bike for me back in the day.  Always felt I could do no wrong on that bike.

I think the 88 was all red, seat cover and all.  That is if you are looking to make it look stock.

Yeah not looking to restore it but to make it look more like the 87.  Will an 87 seat cover fit the 88?

try not to laugh at my paint job.. :jawdrop:

a9e5f9fc-c6e4-4c72-abb4-8b97208674a0_zps I should have everything by Thursday...I just got to figure away to clean up that awful white painted tank now...

The ring end gap looks like a quarter inch. Who makes 67+/- piston?

The ring end gap looks like a quarter inch. Who makes 67+/- piston?

Prolly Wiseco. Wonder what Mr. Blackwoodz negotiated for final price? I'd prolly hafta buy it too if say less than $350...

Even with the water pump "looking" good I would still check the radiators for blockage. Pull them off and test how well water or air flows through them. 1988 CR250 came with magnesium water pump covers from the factory.

I own an '88 and looked at a few others, every single one had at least some radiator blockage. 

Nothing worse than getting a bike back together and having it overheat.

The 67mm  piston I ordered is a Pro-X(66.86). The radiators may not be original and they look like new inside and out. The only real issue with the water pump area is the outlet pipe has some degradation.

Okay I have the white paint off the tank. But the red is dull and faded. Anyone know where can i find some perforated red vinyl sheets that I could trim to fit the sides and top of  tank? 

sheesh  you expect a neighbor hood kid to use the right piston    . atleast the head wasnt leaking  :lol:

Contact the owner of flashredbikes.com

He makes decals for TONS of old discontinued hondas. I got a nice pair of side panel decals from him, they look great :)

Okay I have the white paint off the tank. But the red is dull and faded. Anyone know where can i find some perforated red vinyl sheets that I could trim to fit the sides and top of tank?

Thought I quoted you in the above post ^^^ damn phone!

Contact the owner of flashredbikes.com

He makes decals for TONS of old discontinued hondas. I got a nice pair of side panel decals from him, they look great :)