Is this normal?

I'm setting the sag on my recently purchased 2007 200xc.  In the manual it says static sag should be close as possible to 35mm.  In order to get close to that i really have to crank down on the spring preload.  I've used all but a 1/4 of the threads on the adjustment.  Iv'e used 3/4 of the threads on shock and it's still at 50mm. Just wondering before I crank it down some more if anyone else has experienced this? It seems I shouldn't have to go that far to get it to the recommended sag for this bike with the stock spring. It seems way to stiff this way? Haven't done the rider with gear sag yet just trying to figure out the static sag first.  I know how to do it just need to know if any body else had to go at least 3/4 down on the threads to achieve the right amount of static sag?

set you race sag first, verify the spring using static sag.

wrong spring for your weight, simple as that.

I would set the rider sag first. Then check the static sag. Being as adjusting one affects the other.

On past bike if the rider sag is good and the static sag is out it means that you need to change springs.

The KTM manual if different than my past bikes.  With a tighter static sag tolerence and wider rider sag tolerence.

Another thing is bieng as you have adjusted the static sag with  no change. Your  swing arm or shock bearings might be toast.

Try pushing down on the seat then let go and take the measurement. After that lift up on the rear fender till you have gone the full travel of the shock almost liffting the wheel off the ground. Let go and take your measurement again. if they are not the same. you have some rusty bearings  not allowing your suspention to work properly.

Been their before. At lest we don't have linkage. Those bearings were pain to change.

That's funny in the manual it says to set static sag first before you set rider sag.  It even states rider sag can't be obtained until you set static.  Regardless of the order did anyone else have the issue of going 3/4 down on the preload and still not be close to 35mm? Thanks Trev S for pointing out it could be my bearings I'll check that seat drop thing.

That's funny in the manual it says to set static sag first before you set rider sag.  It even states rider sag can't be obtained until you set static.  Regardless of the order did anyone else have the issue of going 3/4 down on the preload and still not be close to 35mm? Thanks Trev S for pointing out it could be my bearings I'll check that seat drop thing.

have you verified the spring is stock?...

Yes I seen that in the manual. I would like to know why ktm does it this way? I am not saying one method is better then the other just like to learn.

Anyways I never checked my static sag till now. It is 32mm and I am between half way to 2/3 of the adjustment threads.

Stock springs and rider sag set in the middle at 110mm. According to the manual I am just over the rated weight for the stock springs.

Well I guess I'm not to far off if you cranked down 2/3 on the threads to get 32mm.  I'll try setting the rider sag first.  I have a feeling I'm to light for the stock spring even with gear(135lbs w/o gear).  Yes to Mynewcr250 I have checked the sping number and it is the stock spring. Thanks for the input and advice guys-love thumpertalk! Anybody want to trade a stock spring for a lighter one let me know, Ill take lighter fork ones too. Where I ride it's roots and rocks and where lucky if we ever see 3rd gear so softer the better with 0 clicks.

Edited by Ricky7