Sign in to follow this  

grease for sprocket splines

use whatever crap ya got bud,,,,,,makes no difference in my book......i actually no longer grease my splines.........

OH THE HORROR :jawdrop:

I actually just spray my chainwith chain lube,,,then spray some at the countershaft and it works right in,,,lube is lube,,,just don`t let it go dry and start to rust is all :thumbsup:

B

I use a dab of moly grease. A dry high-pressure lube would be better at not attracting dirt; I just haven't picked any up.

I use 73% moly paste, mostly because I have a jar left over from my Valkyrie days. Honda specified at least 60% moly on the Valkyrie's drive hub splines to reduce wear and prevent fretting corrosion. I bought it ( GD570 )  from Guard Dog in the U.S.

http://www.guarddogmoly.com/prod-moto.shtml

Edited by paul246

I put a small bead of RTV around base of shaft ,approx. 1/4" away from seal then carefully greased up shaft & sprocket ID with moly & slide on sprocket, then a small bead of RTV to keep grease in, then bolt up clip. Hoping this will seal in lube & keep gunk out.(theory)  Don't know if will actually work, until I pull it apart in a few years.

I greased the 04, never greased the 93 and there is no difference between the two. Now I grease neither and life is good, if you want to waste your time and get your hands greasy then so be it.

• Like 1

use whatever crap ya got bud,,,,,,makes no difference in my book......i actually no longer grease my splines.........

OH THE HORROR :jawdrop:

I actually just spray my chainwith chain lube,,,then spray some at the countershaft and it works right in,,,lube is lube,,,just don`t let it go dry and start to rust is all :thumbsup:

B

:lol: ,,You're so irresponsible Brian.. :p,,My bike leaks so much oil around there I don't require lube.. :devil:,,Newest fad the self lubing countershaft sprocket.,get the mod now.. :rolleyes:

Edited by Horri

I greased the 04, never greased the 93 and there is no difference between the two. Now I grease neither and life is good, if you want to waste your time and get your hands greasy then so be it.

I guess you can get a little grease on your finger tips doing a simple 3 minute clean and lube now or get grease all over your hands removing the engine and splitting the cases to get at the counter-shaft later.

I guess you can get a little grease on your finger tips doing a simple 3 minute clean and lube now or get grease all over your hands removing the engine and splitting the cases to get at the counter-shaft later.

Both mine look perfect :)  Like I said there was no difference between the 2.

If you want some actual good advice get the 650r sprocket.

Both mine look perfect :)  Like I said there was no difference between the 2.

I'm also running the 650R sprocket. I guess you pays your money and takes your chances.

I'm also running the 650R sprocket. I guess you pays your money and takes your chances.

secnahc ruoy sekat dna yennom ruoy syap ouy sseug i. tekcorps R056 eht gninnur osla mi

Edited by DefiantMenace

Rather than greasing the splines, some folks recommend using blue Loctite instead to keep it nice and snug and to keep  spline 'hammering' down.  A little heat may be required for sprocket removal.

Rather than greasing the splines, some folks recommend using blue Loctite instead to keep it nice and snug and to keep spline 'hammering' down. A little heat may be required for sprocket removal.

pulled off a 93 with 22k miles it was perfect and dry

I was doing the R sprocket upgrade  and honestly I think it was a bad choice since it changes the chain line a little

cs 22k.JPG

Pardon my ignorance but is the 650r sprocket better somehow? I have an '86 XR600.... Will it fit that too?