2000 Honda 400ex not starting

So, I just bought a 2000 Honda 400ex.  It started when i test drove it and when i brought it home two days ago.  But now it just won't start and it is about 42degrees out right now and i have a heater on it trying to warm it up. .  I was wondering if anyone could tell me to try something because all i could think of is somehow the sparkplug went bad or it is just too cold.  I am new to four wheelers so i don't know too much about them.

Please help.

Does it turn over? What's it do when you try to start it

Yes it does turn over.

It just keeps cranking and ever so often in full choke it will fire a couple of times and then stop and if I turn the choke down, it just turns and dosn't fire at all.

Take the carb off and clean, clean, clean. Tear it all the way down, pull the jets out, take the float and needle out, and soak it in parts cleaner. Spray carb cleaner into every hole, use a dremel with a nylon brush wherever you can, and leave it spotless. If you've not formiliar with doing something like this, find someone who is to watch and guide you. It's a pretty simple process, but take pics of where everything goes for reassembly. A 42 pilot jet helps with the cold naturedness of the 400ex.

Yeah completly clean the card, check the spark plug. Maybe your battery don't got enough charge? Low compression? Try bump starting it.

Sparkplug

Yes, it did turn out to be a bad plug.

Thanks for the help.

Im glad you got your issue fixed. Im sorry if i offend anyone when i say it kills me the ppl that jump right to clean your carb when a machine wont start. there are many other things you can do to pinpoint weather or not you have a fuel issue

Im glad you got your issue fixed. Im sorry if i offend anyone when i say it kills me the ppl that jump right to clean your carb when a machine wont start. there are many other things you can do to pinpoint weather or not you have a fuel issue

OH SO TRUE!!

When I bought my '92 cr250 the throttle was at about 1/4 throttle type of idle.  Wouldn't start every time either.  Went poking around checked wire connections, checked coil, everything good electrical side.  Went to the carb.  Pulled it and tore it down two or three times.  Had my buddy who fully rebuilt his '89 ktm 350 from the ground up two or three times come over to help, stumped him too.  Was going riding that weekend so i figured hey, i'll just take it to a shop to look at and give me at least a diagnosis.  Turned out that the throttle cable was wrapped around the neck of the frame causing the throttle to be 1/4 of the way open and flooding the plug.  

Always turns out to be the stupid little things!!!!

Did it sit a while?