Sign in to follow this  

I was out practicing last weekend and wadded up pretty bad, got a concussion and bent my renthal twinwall bars. Well I have a new pair ordered but they won't be here till Monday and there's a race on Sunday so my only option is to try to rebend the bars back to place as close as possible. Anybody got any good techniques that I could use? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

I would think re-bending them would only make them weaker. I would look for a loaner set

• Like 2

Stick them in a vice and use a torch to heat them up and bend them back.  I wouldn't do that, but if you want to, that's a way to do it.

MAX!!!

Buy a cheap set of fat bars at the track if you can. Otherwise the best method I found to fix bars it to hit them with a wooden bat. The shock can usually get the close to where they were before the crash. It may not work on the twin-walls, but it's something I used in the past.

You guys telling him how to bend his bars back, so he can race arnt too smart. 110, it doesn't matter how minor the damned concussion is. You should not be racing...PERIOD! You want to risk your own health, and life just go run your head into a wall right now! That way you can save the other competitors from your stupidity

• Like 1

You guys telling him how to bend his bars back, so he can race arnt too smart. 110, it doesn't matter how minor the damned concussion is. You should not be racing...PERIOD! You want to risk your own health, and life just go run your head into a wall right now! That way you can save the other competitors from your stupidity

It's been a full week since the concussion what's he suppose to do never ride again?
  • Like 1

It's been a full week since the concussion what's he suppose to do never ride again?

You too need to read up on concussions before you criticize someone more educated someone on the subject. A concussion is a concussion and believe it or not, it takes more than "a whole week" to heal.

• Like 3

do you have any plumber friends a pipe hickey works great . These things are designed to bend pipe. I have straightened many bars in my day using one of these tools. If you crash a lot oh I mean race a lot  maybe you need one in the truck box. just kidding  don't worry we all bend up bars

My question is... Is how many concussions have you had total?? I am very familiar with what a concussion is and what it does to your body & mind after having 4 of them with one major one that had me hospitalized for 10 days.

Haha I think some ppl jus need to calm down, I wouldn't be going out racing this weekend if I would have hurt myself bad enough. It happen at about 2:30 pm. I hit the ground hard enough that it messed up my vision I seen lots of blurry lines and it gave me a killer head ache and I eventually ended up getting sick and throwing up kinda felt like I had a major hangover... But I ended up loading my bike up and driving home by myself. When I got home I passed out till about 930 then my gf woke me up and talked me into going to the hospital. So I did and they gave me a CT scan and said there was no bleeding but I probably had one b4 I got to the hospital but Idk for sure so I was just saying I did lol. It got me out of work for a day so I just went with it lol. It's been about 5 days I'm sure I'm fine to race. Thanks for the concern though, much appreciated!

My doc tells me a month to be safe.  That is for a minor concussion where I was not knocked out.  Cheap steel bars can be bent back without to much trouble because they are weak to begin with.  It takes a good shot to bend the twin walls or any of the fat bars.  Trying to bend them back is asking for trouble.  I have seen them snap off at the clamp area.  Probably not a good thing when riding.

• Like 1

Haha I think some ppl jus need to calm down, I wouldn't be going out racing this weekend if I would have hurt myself bad enough. It happen at about 2:30 pm. I hit the ground hard enough that it messed up my vision I seen lots of blurry lines and it gave me a killer head ache and I eventually ended up getting sick and throwing up kinda felt like I had a major hangover... But I ended up loading my bike up and driving home by myself. When I got home I passed out till about 930 then my gf woke me up and talked me into going to the hospital. So I did and they gave me a CT scan and said there was no bleeding but I probably had one b4 I got to the hospital but Idk for sure so I was just saying I did lol. It got me out of work for a day so I just went with it lol. It's been about 5 days I'm sure I'm fine to race. Thanks for the concern though, much appreciated!

There's nothing minor about this.. and this is coming from a rider who has sustained minor, major concussions and even a stage 4 traumatic brain injury.  Glad you went to the hospital, some guys like a racer in the desert didn't wake up after not going to the hospital.  Died in his sleep from internal bleeding. 

If you are feeling well, head not hurting, then race conservatively.  Don't push it too hard. 

Back in 99 I got a minor concussion in my first moto and came back around and raced the second moto. I didn't hit that jump again tho. Didn't seem to bother me, but I was like 18 too.

you guys who, after a receiving a concussion think it's OK to ride, and especially race conservatively are wrong, and quite possibly could be dead wrong! Taking another blow to the head, before the 1st has had time to heal, could be deadly. Do you realize you don't even need to hit your head again? A sudden movement or jar could be enough. If you really don't care about yourself, then at least consider your fellow competitors. In ANY other organized sport you are required to present doctors clearance after a head injury before even practicing

• Like 3

I've had 2 concussions both severe enough so that I can't remember my life previous to the crash... Lots of hours spent with my family and friends talking about stuff I've done memories I've lost concussions are terrible and when they leave you in the hospital for a week because of a bleeding brain it's nothing to mess around with!! I've spent 6 months in pt and another 6 in ot and finially I got a full season this season to be on a bike and race again. Scary stuff they are