RM 125. Ground up re-build

Thought I'd might as well start my own thread on this bike and stop Hi-jacking everyone else's   :devil: .

It's an 02 125.I paid $2000.00 AUD for it. I only wish we got bikes as cheap as you lot across the pond. Mind you 2Kis still too much even for here.

Basically. Everything on the bike was rooted? . I always re-build my SH bikes from the ground up even if It's just for peace of mind anyway so no real biggy .

Here's what it looked like when I got it. This is also after a good couple of hours scrubbing.

001-48.jpg

003-33.jpg

002-36.jpg

Rippa! ? .

Anyway. I wasn't planning on starting a thread so haven't taken many pics along the way sorry.

I stripped the bike back to nothing and took my engine to  "2T Performance" a local engine builder that has not long started his business. I like to support new local business so thought I'd give him a go ? .

I sanded and spayed the frame using pressure packs myself but Once It's finished I'll get my Mate, an Industrial painter to Blast it and do it again.

The paint I put on it just Isn't going to hold up for long so might as well get it done properly now. He did the swing arm. Doesn't charge me anything to do it either.

First off I cleaned up all the rear suspension. Linkage, shock etc. the local bike shop fitted all new bearings and bushes etc in the linkage, swing arm and shock.

I also sanded and polished the rear shock body by hand. Took skin off my finger tips doing this. Pretty happy with the finish though and no paint or anno to rub off when I ride it. The rubbing will actually polish it up more   :ride: .

001_zps54c5082d.jpg

002_zps8fe2ac69.jpg

After a bit of work.

001_zps6d38bad3.jpg

Had the spring re-coated in Red as well.

002_zpsf81caf6d.jpg

001_zps6c76077c.jpg

I did give it a bit of a polish and only by hand and with Braso ?  Had no metal Polish at the time.

• Like 2

I stripped the Anno off the front forks and had them Hard Annoed Black. I could have prepped them better but didn't get all the chips out of them. There were a lot.

With Anno, the better the part is polished the better the finish you will get. They were always going to have Carbon wraps on them any way so I wasn't too bothered.

005_zps52f9d87c.jpg

001_zpsac5b51d4.jpg

Obviously I had the rear shock and forks re-built whilst they were apart as well.

Got some Chinese radiators from Flea-Bay. You'd have to be mad not to give them a try IMO and so far I'm pretty happy with them. $109.00 AUD with Yellow silicon hoses.

I gave them a quick clean up with steel Wool just to get a bit of a shine from them.

002_zpsd0742ad2.jpg

001_zpsa3260468.jpg

I bought some engine Bling next plus an OEM full clutch kit and springs. Apparently the best clutch kit to get for the RM125's.

"2T Performance" will be machine the head for Aussie fuels.

Oh. I should mention I sent my top end off to Eric Gore in the US for the 144cc up-grade Kit. Bike is for XC so I got the number 3 porting option, smooth power right through from bottom to top with a bit of the mid range hit taken out.

Here's some engine parts I bought.

001_zps529bbba8.jpg

So. The engine will be an EG 144but setup by Dave at "2T Performance" in Australia. Setup for XC.

Hinson clutch basket

Boysen RAD valve

VHM billet head with custom machined dome

Lectron 38mm Carby

Custom Ignition mapping, Setup and programmed on the dyno.

Fully rebuilt bottom end and gear box. Hot Rods crank kit.

The engine will be ready in about 2 weeks but once I fit it in the bike it has to go straight back for Dyno work. It will be run in on the Dyno as well.

I bought a Black fuel tank from Clarkes but I also ordered a GMX Alloy tank with RM Z250 tank shrouds which I'm hoping to have in no longer than a month and a half.

All new plastics and a "Bad Boy" grafix kit direct from Enjoy MFG. The service from both of these companies was Impeccable. 1st class ?.

I bought the bars etc from BTO Sports where I'm a regular customer.

I fitted new steering stem bearing also. I have an after market top triple clamp and cleaned the bottom one up. It came up pretty good for cast alloy. I haven't fitted the top clamp as yet. It's one I already had lying around here. "Fly racing in Silver". I've polished it up and it looks like new.

003_zps3c5b604d.jpg

I tried to get all new "Light Speed" Carbon parts, even directly from Light speed themselves but had no hope. Pity. I've been a big supporter of their parts since 04 and have spent thousands. They "were" my favourite aftermarket part   :( .

I managed to track down a rear calliper guard, The fork wraps and some 2nd hand frame guards from Flea-Bay. I still need to clean the frame guards up and re-condition them as best I can.

I was hoping to get a Glide plate as well but had to go for another option in Plastic.

002_zps9bb95eb8.jpg

I ordered my pipe yesterday. A DEP 144 pipe. Received it this Morning. Impressive! Not to mention the shop where I bought this pipe from is right in the centre of the currant Aussie bush fires. I was expecting it to take longer if anything. I'll be shopping there again (F1 Moto)   ? . I have a Scalvini full carbon silencer coming ATM. I wanted to use the Full Scalvini system but a top end pipis no good to me on this bike.

I tried to get Talon Carbon/Billet hubs but they don't make them for the Suzuki 2T's :( . Ended up having to get Talon billet hubs with Bull Dog SS spokes and SM Pro Platinum rims.

They'll be here next week. I'll post up-dated Pics then ? .

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 3

I also re-conditioned my brakes and put kits through everything. Cleaned them right up as best I could. Fitted new "Braking" pads F&R. Quick pins, Red braided brake lines and I have a "Braking" oversized front rotor and a rear rotor.

I fitted a "Hammer Head" Red billet tip to the rear brake pedal and have an ASV C-6 front brake lever on it and a new 2013 CRF450 front brake master cylinder. (Don't ask ? ).

I also have Yellow Venhill Teflon coated cables but I'm not sure if the throttle will work with the Lectron carby yet. The Venhill one may not belong enough.

Wasn't much available in the way of After Market foot pegz. I normally use Fast Way pegz in the low boy position.

I had to get some parts for another bike Nickel plated so I had the pegz, pins and springs done for this bike while I was at it. I also got all 3 axles done.

I have a "thing" for Nickel plating. Love it !!   :goofy: .

008_zps2da00073.jpg

010_zpsd798cc64.jpg

009_zps78182e2d.jpg

It's a nice bike! Only thing I dislike is the headlight.. It just doesn't look right to me ! But if you like it that's all that matters!!

Has to grow on you? . I know where you're coming from. There wasn't a lot of choice but my first Impression was the same as yours ? . It only needs to be there until I get the bike Rec regoed.

Do you like it more like this?

001_zpsf5a490b8.jpg

I painted it. I stuffed it up so I have to replaced it anyway. I'm slightly OCD, if I don't relace it, It'll slowly eat away at me? .

002_zpse099f840.jpg

I used old prescription pills to cover the Leds while I painted it. Did the job   :goofy: . Being translucent Yellow it needed to be backed with Silver.

001_zps3c50feb3.jpg

Trimmed up the front plate sticker to make it  fit.

003_zps568a655c.jpg

I used all Tamia Pollycarb paints ?

Do you like it more like this?

Posted Image

I painted it. I stuffed it up so I have to replaced it anyway. I'm slightly OCD, if I don't relace it, It'll slowly eat away at me? .

Posted Image

I used old prescription pills to cover the Leds while I painted it. Did the job :goofy: . Being translucent Yellow it needed to be backed with Silver.

Posted Image

Trimmed up the front plate sticker to make it fit.

Posted Image

I used all Tamia Pollycarb paints ?

I do actually! That looks good!

I would love two do one of these but I am 15 and have very low funds.

My Intention was to just clean it up but I got carried away lol.

Go for the stock/factory look. Then all you need to do is clean ever part to the best of your ability. Even parts that need replacing can be replaced with SH Flea-Bay parts and then reconditioned.

Everyone appreciates a bike restored to like new condition and It's harder to do than what I'm doing with this bike ?  I just clean up what I can, throw on new plastic and a grafix kit and Bolt on a bit of Bling ? .

I get a lot of satisfaction from taking a dirty old part and getting it like new again :cool: .

My Free Tip ? . Steel Wool Soap Pads will be your best friend. Bit of Elbow grease goes a long way as well? .

• Like 4