Sign in to follow this  

KTM 300 MXC evolution

Does anyone have a good source to see the improvements KTM has made year after year on the 300? I'm trying to decide on an 02 that's a good deal, but don't want to be so far behind if technology has really advanced...

I guess I'll go back to the YZ forum where I obviously belong!

For anybody else out there with my questions, here's what I uncovered:

04 they dropped some weight off the engine (something like 8lbs)

08 they added the e-start

Some subtle handling and ergo improvements each year, but those seem to be the significant changes

an 02 300 is a good solid bike.  Does it have the newest and greatest tech, no...  Is it heavier then today's bikes, yes.  Will it run all day and keep putting a smile on your face...  absolutely.  Its all about want you want.  I don't need the "newest" bikes.  I can be just as slow on a brand new bike as I am on mine...   :thumbsup:   I have just as much fun as someone an a new bike.

These bike are pretty much bullet proof.  With the adjustable power valve, you can tailor the power to suit your riding style.

Hope this helps.

Does anyone have a good source to see the improvements KTM has made year after year on the 300? I'm trying to decide on an 02 that's a good deal, but don't want to be so far behind if technology has really advanced...

I ride a 2011 model, but when I ride a buddy's bike that's older than 2008, I feel a MAJOR difference.  2008 is when they changed the frame significantly, and it handles far better than the earlier models.  They also added estart as you mention. 

Granted that I'm a racer and want that edge, but I would never buy anything pre-2008 for performance.  Honestly a 2008 model 300 XC wouldn't be that much more expensive than a 12 year old 2002 model.  Go with something newer for an extra $600.00 or so.

Thanks, I agree. I'm thinking 2 older bikes is better than 1 new one.

My buddies and I have talked a lot about having the spare bike in the garage.  My spare bike didn't get ridden on over 18 months, so I sold the sucker.  It was useless to me.  If you maintain your bike properly, you'll never have a mechanical breakdown.. in fact, I've never once been kept away from riding because of my bike breaking.  Just gotta keep it in good shape.  I would put my cash into a newer bike, definitely 2008+

My buddies and I have talked a lot about having the spare bike in the garage.  My spare bike didn't get ridden on over 18 months, so I sold the sucker.  It was useless to me.  If you maintain your bike properly, you'll never have a mechanical breakdown.. in fact, I've never once been kept away from riding because of my bike breaking.  Just gotta keep it in good shape.  I would put my cash into a newer bike, definitely 2008+

+1

I've done the spare bike thing which turned into an occasional buddy bike, and at that point I'm just buying and maintaining someone elses bike.  In the long run if you just put all of that effort into keeping your personal bike running and in good condition you'll never need a second bike.  And at that point you can buy a newer/better bike. 

One new bike will beat two older bikes any day, that's because you can only ride one at a time.

• Like 1

Of all the changes, I think suspension is the one that would sway me. Since 2011, KTM suspension has gotten really great.

Great advice; I'll certainly consider everything and post pics of whatever year model 300 I end up with.

I guess it couldn't hurt to see if there's interest in my 01YZ426F. Money from that sale could potentially put me into the 08 or newer price range- thanks guys

As an owner of a 2002 300 EXC, Id say go for it. 

The bottom line is that there is always something better. "the grass is greener..." type thing.

That yr model is fine. Get it, get to know the wonder that is the 3hunney, and enjoy. You can always move up if you want. You should have no trouble selling it down the road.