i feel cheated !

soo i take a cruise over to yamaha-motor.eu ´´europe´´ and see the xt660 with like 4 difrent versions and a wr125r and x two stroke ! ... if yamaha sold these bikes in the usa i would of gotten in debt for one in a heart beat !! ... dont these companys notice the demand for ds bikes... and why not make a nice 400 cc or so bike ...   for example if honda redesigned a xr400 with e-start water cooled dualsport they would sell a crap load of them ... look at  the crf250l selling like crazy.. 

i just felt like ranting sorry

i don't get it all the MFG's  seem to miss the mark

yeah they all got gaps in their markets... but they make the stuff to fill in the gaps and dont offer ir ? weird stuff,... im sure they know a lot more than my dumbass ... hehehe true

Yet , they stay in business . They must be doing something right . Maybe not for any one person , but ...

I tend to think that Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki now have Asia as their big market, not the USA, anymore.

Plus, thanks to EPA regulations dreamt-up by guys who could not care less about your motorcycling fun and what motorcycle you'd like to buy, Yamaha cannot import certain models.

So, if they can't import X number of WR-125Xs to the USA, the Yamaha executives simply look to the Asian market, instead, where they will sell XX number of little putt-putt scooters and lame-o models you wouldn't even bat an eye at.

Edited by YZEtc

Look at Yamaha's sales of the WR250 series bikes, and the XT1200Z Super Tenere. (Disclaimer: I own both) 

Great anticipation and fanfare. Great bikes that do exactly what they claim they do. And would be extremely useful for 85% of the riders out there.

What does everyone get? Cruisers, and big engined naked bikes. I can only assume that the urban market, is the market. 

I live out in the country, neither of the above motorcycle types has any value to me. I see little use for a 1000cc bike with zero wind protection, and questionable ability to carry anything with me, including a passenger. I also have no use for something that weighs 800 plus pounds, has no ground clearance, is not useful for cornering, has limited to no suspension, and makes 60 HP. 

The heart wants what it wants, but sometimes the heart has no interest in what's good.

Just make your own YZ125 dualsport. I did. 

DSC_0105.JPG

DSC_0113.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

Edited by MGBGT

Just make your own YZ125 dualsport. I did. 

Nice job. I've consider the 250cc based version of yours. I know lots of people that plate the 300 KTMs for the same reason.

Given my druthers, I'd rather have it factory available, and fully emission legal, just in case that ever becomes an issue. I think it will sooner rather than later.

Nice job. I've consider the 250cc based version of yours. I know lots of people that plate the 300 KTMs for the same reason.

Given my druthers, I'd rather have it factory available, and fully emission legal, just in case that ever becomes an issue. I think it will sooner rather than later.

With the current state of government and especially the attitude at the EPA. It will be unlikely that we see a "factory" version of any of the 2t dualsport bikes. :lame:

Unless they get the DI versions up and running. Direct injection could possibly be the answer, as two strokes often keep the revs low enough for it to work. DI doesn't handle stratospheric rpm levels very well at this point.

The guy at Yamaha that is in charge of Yamaha USA is the main one that chooses what models come to the US. He is a big street bike guy and doesn't care for DS market at all. That's the biggest reason we don't get the 660's or even back when it was still a 600, after '95. 

2t's will never be back I don't believe, too much investment, won't pay for them.

Quite a few states are already yanking titles and plates from bikes that weren't made from the factory for the street. They are looking closer at the model and its original spec, rather than what was put on it aftermarket to make it streetable.

Edited by jjktmrider

Quite a few states are already yanking titles and plates from bikes that weren't made from the factory for the street. They are looking closer at the model and its original spec, rather than what was put on it aftermarket to make it streetable.

Which states?

Edited by motovita

I don't have any list, there has been a few stories of non renewal of plates because of it, I think Iowa and Minn. are some or in the works to do it.

They already made the tuner kids put the emission stuff back on their fart pipe equipped cars in this state. I figure it is only a matter of time before they start enforcing it on bikes. Which is why I've left my emission stuff alone. It all has enough power anyway.

I don't have any list, there has been a few stories of non renewal of plates because of it, I think Iowa and Minn. are some or in the works to do it.

uh huh   :blah:

There was an article in Cycle World (I think it was CW) recently about CARB emission regs being considered for Federal specs, and being applied nationwide. The article states they aren't after noise yet, just emissions, but I'm sure that's coming as well. 

Enough people on motorcycles and such have irritated enough people on everything else for long enough that I'm sure there will be little to no sympathy.  I say this as I've been riding since the late sixties, and it was going on since before I started. All of the magazines used to have ads with the "less sound=more ground" slogan, which would be more accurately stated as less sound, lose less ground. WE all can say we've seen how that worked. Look at all the big name off road parks that were around then, and look now.  A guy I know here in PA was formally told by the local authorities that he couldn't ride his MX bike around his own farm (a small one, but still a farm) as it violated noise regulations. He first blew them off, and then they came after him. He tried to fight it in court, and lost. The neighbors in the new development next door had enough of his bikes, took action, and that was that.

Since the late 70s/early 80s it has not been legal to modify any emission or noise related part of any motorcycle used on the streets. It just wasn't enforced. I believe it is about to be. I avoid all of this as I prefer to stay off the radar as long as I can. I keep the emission stuff as found, and hopefully, won't ever get on the list of those to go after. I want to ride in peace.

So believe whatever you like, I'm not selling anything. But this isn't a new problem, and I think the momentum is now high enough that we'll be seeing some unpleasant changes. All they have to do is up the ethanol content high enough in available gas, and no bike will run.

Don't forget that if you're riding anything less than a 600cc inline four on the street, you're a pansy, an 883 is a "girls bike" and real men ride litre bikes. I would love to see more 250, 300, 400, 450 and 500cc bikes, regardless of the purpose, make the swim from the other side of the globe (and often just head from South America north), but it ain't gonna happen, there's simply not enough money to be made, UNLESS, you tell your friends about this great stuff and we write the manufacturers to encourage them to import it. That's a long shot.

Yes about the bigger is better thing. Bear in mind that my WR250R is close on the heels of the HP output of the 883, and the WR450 passes it. Yes, by virtue of larger displacement, the 883 has more torque. But at the curb weight for both, the offroad bikes have a better power to weight ratio. Years ago, when I had my SR500F, I used to ride with a couple that had Harleys, he a sportster, her an 883. I could out accelerate, out stop, and out handle either of them at any time. It was only when we exceeded 85 or 90 that the bigger bikes had some advantage, and by then, they were squirrelly due to frame geometry. Bigger is bigger, but isn't always better. They did have electric start, and while quite accustomed to kick starting, I don't miss kicking that bike over. My feet still hurt all these years later.

It isn't now, nor never has been, engine size, it is power to weight ratio. A 60 HP Big Twin in a 800+ pound chassis is not a performance bike. But a 115 HP FZ09 triple in a 415 pound one is.

Did you see the results of the Milan show? Yamaha has released a new 700cc twin, the little brother/sister of the FZ09, and done a fair amount of upgrades to the FZ09 (they call it the MT09 over there; their FZs all have half fairings) They also added a electric adjust on the fly suspension upgrade to the Super Tenere, and even built a dirt bike using a TMax sooted power plant. Nag Yamaha, the MT/FZ07 twin looks like what many have wanted for years: the new version of the XS650, much like the WR250R is a sort of updated DT1. 

I've ridden the FZ09, and own the WR and Tenere, all are outstanding bikes. The new xx07 should do for 80% of the riders out there that need a street bike. The FZ09 will go a lot faster a lot quicker than most need, or want. It is like a liter bike engine performance in that super light chassis.

The only twin I'd be interested in would be something small enough that it is barely bigger than a single XT600 engine. 400/450 500/550 or 600/650 would be plenty big, and built as a torque motor not a high revver. They'd be small dia pistons with a fairly long stroke.That would keep the cylinder small but would need to be parallel instead of a V  or BMW configuration. Put that motor in a "true" dual sport ,aka dirtbike with lights, not those overweight, huge fairing ,clumsy street bikes they are calling adventure bikes now.

Edited by jjktmrider