Has the world gotten to worried about image

I was looking at all the scratched up plastic on my bike the other day, the dented up muffler, the gravel burned bark busters, and so on. Anyways I was going to get new plastics and graphics to make the bike shiny again. Anyway as I was looking at the battle scars of on my bike, I remembered the memories  of  going into a 90% right hand corner going way to fast and going down. I remembered falling straight down ten feet into a tank-trap having my drz 400 bouncing off my head. Then the light came on I earned these scars and so did  my bike so I thought to myself, plastics who needs that, it's winter time  it is time for a new tire. So what is thought out there, are battle scars on your bike cool? Do these scars show signs of hard earned  lessons? Or do you see it as the trash coming out to play in a sport he can't afford. I want to hear from both sides on this one guys. my thought of it has always been, if you don't go chrome it!

My new kx has started to show some plastic scratches. I won't be running out to get new ones I feel more inclined to take risks when I'm not worried about scratching the perfect plastics.

Somebody has been watching cars 2! Classic Tow-Mater, lol. But yeah, I run it til I break it. Then I replace it. I work way too hard for my money to waste it on looking pretty!

As much as I like to keep my bike looking nice I only buy graphics or plastics ever other year. By the time I replace them they usually are looking really thrashed. I always replace broken parts, but I spend enough money keeping the bike properly maintained to be able to buy new plastics every time I have a wreck. The front fender on my bike right now looks like absolute hell, but I just put a new oversized brake rotor on the bike and didnt feel like wasting 20 bucks on something that is going to look torn up the next time i have a get off.  

Yes :thumbsdn:  :lame:

My bike look like shit i dont care. Only 10 months old

Form follows function

I was looking at all the scratched up plastic on my bike the other day, the dented up muffler, the gravel burned bark busters, and so on. Anyways I was going to get new plastics and graphics to make the bike shiny again. Anyway as I was looking at the battle scars of on my bike, I remembered the memories of going into a 90% right hand corner going way to fast and going down. I remembered falling straight down ten feet into a tank-trap having my drz 400 bouncing off my head. Then the light came on I earned these scars and so did my bike so I thought to myself, plastics who needs that, it's winter time it is time for a new tire. So what is thought out there, are battle scars on your bike cool? Do these scars show signs of hard earned lessons? Or do you see it as the trash coming out to play in a sport he can't afford. I want to hear from both sides on this one guys. my thought of it has always been, if you don't go chrome it!

Only if you are mx'r.

Battle scars are for woods riders.

The only way I'm gonna worry about cosmetics, is to keep my sponsors happy. Since I don't have any sponsors...ugly will have to do.

My priority is making it run and perform good. I do clean it up goos after a weekend. I have no graphics and my plastics are all scratched up. I love smoking a sick looking bike. I only replace broken bodywork. But I'm old and don't give a crap what the other guys think.

I replace my plastics when they are mechanically unsound.  This year, my right radiator shroud ripped off its mount by the radiator, but I reattached it twice before realizing that it wasn't salvagable.  Then I ponied up for $100.00 radiators, yes with graphics. 

My rear fender on the Katoom has a little elbow that juts out to the left, covering a portion of the airbox and keeping it need and tidy.  I refused to replace the rear fender for $40.00, until one ride I crashed pretty hard and that elbow thing broke off. 

Buuut--pretty sells.  For sure.  I would never buy a bike in bad condition because if it looks badly, that almost invariably means it operates poorly too and is in bad mechanical shape.  When I sell mine it'll look fine because I keep it clean, and I'll show the buyer my maintenance schedule to validate that I take care of my shtuff.

Save the money for parts that you will need like rebuilds and so forth... Cosmetics comes last in my mind and maintenance comes first

As much as I like to keep my bike looking nice I only buy graphics or plastics ever other year. By the time I replace them they usually are looking really thrashed. I always replace broken parts, but I spend enough money keeping the bike properly maintained to be able to buy new plastics every time I have a wreck. The front fender on my bike right now looks like absolute hell, but I just put a new oversized brake rotor on the bike and didnt feel like wasting 20 bucks on something that is going to look torn up the next time i have a get off.  

I replace my plastics when they are mechanically unsound.  This year, my right radiator shroud ripped off its mount by the radiator, but I reattached it twice before realizing that it wasn't salvagable.  Then I ponied up for $100.00 radiators, yes with graphics. 

My rear fender on the Katoom has a little elbow that juts out to the left, covering a portion of the airbox and keeping it need and tidy.  I refused to replace the rear fender for $40.00, until one ride I crashed pretty hard and that elbow thing broke off. 

Buuut--pretty sells.  For sure.  I would never buy a bike in bad condition because if it looks badly, that almost invariably means it operates poorly too and is in bad mechanical shape.  When I sell mine it'll look fine because I keep it clean, and I'll show the buyer my maintenance schedule to validate that I take care of my shtuff.

Are you my long lost cousin??  lol

I'd love for my bike to look good and get new plastics but I wreck too much, :lol:

So usually it's keep them till they pretty much break off lol

Edited by fdme

This motorcycle habit would cost twice as much if I cared overly in regards to "looks", its all in the eye of the beer holder. However, I have evolved after owning a Ranger truck that was like a kid that kept getting the sniffies and outgrowing it's clothes....thinking about all that dough makes me cring....if not for the frickin' awesome times I had in that truck throughout my 20's. Now, with this toy (dual sport xr4) I found what worked and stuck w/ it!! Hard to want to change what ain't broken!! But now I'm into owning that kind of look....beat up, gorilla tape, no chain guard, stratched hand guards etc.

If it's shiny like chrome I'll bet it will look better in mate black. Yeah baby

I was looking at all the scratched up plastic on my bike the other day, the dented up muffler, the gravel burned bark busters, and so on. Anyways I was going to get new plastics and graphics to make the bike shiny again. Anyway as I was looking at the battle scars of on my bike, I remembered the memories  of  going into a 90% right hand corner going way to fast and going down. I remembered falling straight down ten feet into a tank-trap having my drz 400 bouncing off my head. Then the light came on I earned these scars and so did  my bike so I thought to myself, plastics who needs that, it's winter time  it is time for a new tire. So what is thought out there, are battle scars on your bike cool? Do these scars show signs of hard earned  lessons? Or do you see it as the trash coming out to play in a sport he can't afford. I want to hear from both sides on this one guys. my thought of it has always been, if you don't go chrome it!

I figure if I can afford to keep my wife lookin good, I can keep my bike looking good!

You can buy new plastic a lot cheaper than a new bike.

I outfit my bikes and keep them mechanically sound for getting me down the trail and back to the truck. I'll spend $100 on a supply of Ride-On for my tires before replacing a scratched piece of plastic. Cosmetics takes a back seat to making them bulletproof and reliable.

Yes :thumbsdn:  :lame:

Hadn't read the actual post when I posted the above. Only the thread title sorry.

If it doesn't look good I'm not gonna be Interested in the first place. Funny that. I'm the same with Women :goofy: . Human nature.

I don't ride my bike unless my bike is perfect in every way, gear as well. I'd rather not ride. I do have slight OCD though  :lol:

Get them back to as close to new after each ride and you're laughing :thumbsup: .

Really. Why settle for anything less than having it all? Reliability and a good looking bike.

I don't care what it looks like whilst I'm riding it but in saying that I spend more time looking at it than I do riding it at the end of the day. Gotta say. I get as much pleasure in doing that as I do riding them   :ride: .

When I was a kid (Sorry. A younger Kid :devil: ) I used to put my bikes in my Bedroom and fall asleep whilst gorking at them.

My Free Tip of the day. Use a Toilet brush to clean your Hubs and spokes etc  ;) . A new one would be best but not essential :lol:

Edited by AddictedToBling

My free quote of the day.

Nothing wrong with having some pride in ya ride   :ride:  

Haters-Gotta-Hate-19_zps5bc0aa6c.jpg

Edited by AddictedToBling

I keep my RM, clean, and working well.It may not look all brand new, especially late in the race season. All it has to do is work right,and finish the race, which it always does, and usually in the top 3. I have spent money on a Rekluse, and even more money on Enduro Engineering suspension. Hours on suspension tuning, and have my bike setup so I am comfortable with it. I have many spares for the bike too. My buddy, everytime he talks to me lately keeps telling me how I need a new bike, because my RM is old, and holding me back....???? Don't know how a bike I win races on is holding me back. Next time he beaks off about it, I'm going to tell him, that if your so hellbent on me getting a new bike, then you go and buy me one!!!! And then you pay to set it up the way I want it!