ohh... sunk my 1994 xr250 and it is really odd

my mate sunk my xr 250 1994. he was riding through a puddle that was off-camber underwater and then he fell exhaust side down into the puddle, this resulted in muddy water running into the motor. when he tried to kick it over, it aqua locked and this sent the water past the 19 year old standard rings into the sump.so i drained and replaced the sump to stop the bottom end bearing seizing, and took the exhaust off and started the bike, it ran a bit weird, and i don't know what is causing it, i'm not game (or mechanically knowledgeable!! haha) enough to take the head of to check out the piston. 

i have a new spark plug and oil filter ready to be fitted, along with a new air filter. i know this may not fix it completely but it is a good start. 

can anyone please help me out? i'm stuck on what to do? do i need a new piston? and if so should i just get a 280cc big bore kit? doe these kits last as long as the stock piston??

any help is greatly appreciated,

cheers masterblaster1998

I drowned mine out riding one night about 10 miles from home.  But, I carried a tool kit, and was able to remove the exhaust to drain the water out of it, remove the plug to get the water out of the cylinder, float bowl, air box, and drained some of the water out of the bottom of the case by removing the drain plug for a little bit.  I was able to ride it home, but rode really easy, due to the watery oil.  It ran just fine, but took 3-4 back to back oil changes (with 2-3 minutes of riding in between) to get all the water out of the oil. 

My question, is how long did it sit before you got it running?  I'm wondering if things had a chance to rust? 

Plus, you need to describe how it isn't running 'right' so we can tell if it is engine or electrical.

Good Luck!

Drain the carb. There's a screw on the bottom left of the float bowl.  Open it one turn.  

Also there may be water in muffler.  Remove.

I drowned mine out riding one night about 10 miles from home.  But, I carried a tool kit, and was able to remove the exhaust to drain the water out of it, remove the plug to get the water out of the cylinder, float bowl, air box, and drained some of the water out of the bottom of the case by removing the drain plug for a little bit.  I was able to ride it home, but rode really easy, due to the watery oil.  It ran just fine, but took 3-4 back to back oil changes (with 2-3 minutes of riding in between) to get all the water out of the oil. 

My question, is how long did it sit before you got it running?  I'm wondering if things had a chance to rust? 

Plus, you need to describe how it isn't running 'right' so we can tell if it is engine or electrical.

Good Luck!

got it running in 5 minutes, but it was really odd rode for 2 mins with all of the exhaust off to get water out, then changed oil with the oil out of my brand new generator to keep the bearings from rusting havent changed oil since but i drained the fuel from the carby and the fuel tank and cleaned them with petrol.