Kdx200 89 or xr250 01

Hi guys I was just wondering what bike is better. I'm 5'6 at the moment but I want a bike that will fit me for a long time. I'm thinking the kdx but does it require lots of maintenance. Thanks

Condition is important , all bikes need maintenance , the more you give it .. the longer it will last .

The KDX is a great bike

Ok thanks but I'm not shaw is a kdx200 1989 to old or not. The one I'm looking at seems to be in good condition.

Ok thanks but I'm not shaw is a kdx200 1989 to old or not. The one I'm looking at seems to be in good condition.

that may seem old but the kdx only was changed 2 times so that bike is the same as up to 95 or 96 I'm not positive, but if it's in good shape it would be a great bike

I owned a 1990 kdx200(10 yrs) and the still have the 250's big bro.....a XR400. The xr is hands down less work. The xr will last you a lifetime if you want it to.

What type of riding? If it's tight KDX for sure. If it's wide open stuff, XR would be the best bet in my opinion.

KDX will be faster and lighter, but the XR is straight up bullet proof. What's more important to you?

Well I would like a bike like the xr because it's bulletproof but how much more maintenance would you have to do to the kdx. Btw I will be riding a bit of both tight and wide open.

That KDX is sporting 1989 graphics, not 91, fishy. Crappy frame paint job too. XR a lot nicer, both bikes overpriced from a USA $ point of view by about 1/3 of asking prices so maybe its an exchange rate thing. KDX will have a more entertaining power delivery, longer.

Ok thanks so I'll probably go with the kdx but I like the xr as well but still not sure how much maintenance is required. So how often do you guys reckon I should do a top end rebuild ?

depends on use, how often you clean the air filter. If you dont hammer the bike often, I would think once at the beggining of each season would be sufficient. There are people running gentle use top ends to 10k miles!

Ok thanks, I won't be riding the bike majorly hard and I won't be riding every day so do you reckon I could pull it out to every year ?

kdx's are very reliable bikes

i think you can pull out 150 hours on a fresh top end

but an xr could probably double that with proper maintanance, their built to last!

Ok thanks, I won't be riding the bike majorly hard and I won't be riding every day so do you reckon I could pull it out to every year ?

If you check and measure the piston/cylinder after purchase, or just replace piston and rings upon purchase, It should last a season no problem.