Big Bore install

How easy is it to install a big bore kit? ive read the faq and whatnot but is it easy to do overall? i want to learn how to do this myself and i think i have all the tools i would need.  just curious of who else had ventured into this before. I really want one as there not to expensive and my bike i think is about ready for a rebuild (30,000 hard riden miles) :ride:  :applause:

How easy is it to install a big bore kit? ive read the faq and whatnot but is it easy to do overall? i want to learn how to do this myself and i think i have all the tools i would need.  just curious of who else had ventured into this before. I really want one as there not to expensive and my bike i think is about ready for a rebuild (30,000 hard riden miles) :ride:  :applause:

Yes, easy. No different than removing and installing an original cylinder and piston.

well ive never done that either the biggest thing that worries me is the whole cam deal like how to do the valves and cams and whatnot i dont have a clue when it comes to that stuff im sure its not hard and i know i can learn i just dont want to get my bike apart and be screwed trying to put it back together 

You need ..

Common sense

A workshop manual ( head bolt torque is 43ft-lb not 33 ft-lb . Use copper coat spray on the head gasket .

Attention to detail

Mark all the parts and separate them .

If you not sure, pay someone who is or call on your handy mates

i'd give it a 5/10 wrenches, just because it requires attention to details. folks can screw up an oil change though, so ymmv. 

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Save up for valves, cam chain... lots more to a rebuild than cylinder, piston, and rings. :thumbsup:

Zed , it is fairly easy , if you have some mechanical ability . If you dont , get someone to help who does . Make sure he knows what he is doing or it could be costly . I would make sure you check the crank bearing tolerances , as it could be too much for a worn crank , and many big bores have failed after there installs , due to the increased horse power on a weak bottom end .

Read what matt posted and do what hack said and all should go well , but make sure your 30 000 mile crank is up to it , greg

Good point , consider the 30,000 mile crank

I'm pretty mechanically Inclined I'm sure I could do this with the help of a friend of Mine installed the fcr today and what a gain in response and power!! How do you go about checking crank bearings for tolerance

Good point , consider the 30,000 mile crank

I would be doing the bottom end without thinking too hard.......(Quote..30.000  hard ridden miles )

Well if and when I do my bottom end should I go with a hot rods 4mm crank while I'm in there? Are there anymore reliability issues with stroker vs stock motors?

I'm pretty mechanically Inclined I'm sure I could do this with the help of a friend of Mine installed the fcr today and what a gain in response and power!! 

The party has started....

It's going to get out'a control when the big bore goes in....lol... :banana:

Yeah I've been bit pretty good by the mod bug :ride: I was thinking about selling and getting a different bike but there's just something about my zed I just love. Rode my buddy's ktm 500xc-w and about pooped

Yeah , but when the Ktm spewed its guts out ........ The DRZ will just keep Rollin

Yeah on the first oil change he found some things you shouldn't find in oil

Well if and when I do my bottom end should I go with a hot rods 4mm crank while I'm in there? Are there anymore reliability issues with stroker vs stock motors?

Reliability will be similar, but remember reliability goes hand in hand with maintenance ...

stroker will require different cams  ,larger valves and spring kit,  41mm fcr (for optimum performance), and dang, you just fitted the 39...

Yeah on the first oil change he found some things you shouldn't find in oil so he sold it back to the dealer and bought a 2001 E and loves it more than that kraptm

I have heard this from other people too