Sign in to follow this  

Whats that noise!?

So over the last month my road banana has developed an increasingly rattley engine.

Firstly, when it is cold the engine produces a loudish ticking noise.

Then when its warm the ticking disappears.

I have done the locktites, I have a mcct, the cam chain has been replaced not that long ago.

I will post bids of it warm and cold when I get home.

also I have noticed when just cruising along at lower rpms (not extremely low) the engine produces an audible knocking sound.
is it likely, at nearly 20000kms it needs to be rebuilt?

Thanks heaps fellas!

Here's the vids:

Cold - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BmroRXiNTE

Warm - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ArDHHBUhhs

Edited by YourPalsChrisAndAl

Mine didn't but I have heard of new cam chains stretching a little after installation….. Have you checked the MCCT since the chain was installed ?

Yeah I readjusted it when the ticking started.

Didnt help much. 

Perhaps i should try again?

Btw, the videos are in my first post now

• Like 1

It says your videos are "private", dude.

sorry about that mate, fixed now!

have you removed the auto decomp?

No idea what this does or where it is. Care to elaborate? :D

the auto decomp is on your exhaust cam to make it easier to start.i believe and i have read somewhere on here it gets loud as its wearing out or worn out. from what i understand you can remove it with no ill affects.

• Like 1

Look at this : it's a guy with a brand-new DRZ who made a video of how it sounds for future reference - sounds just like yours (or even more noisy). I think unless there's some obvious abnormal alarming clunking or rattling, that's just how they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cdxtErPm6c

Edited by michaelks
  • Like 1

I heard a ticking just like this from my bike, for the first time, on Tuesday. It was just before I was going out for a ride. I started suspecting the auto-decompressor or a valve, and almost didn't go because of it. When I got home, with a thoroughly warm motor, the ticking had stopped. I started the bike just a little while ago and there was no ticking.

• Like 1

Our pals , can you narrow down where the ticking is coming from ? In the cold vid you are below the motor , which would suggest the big end or balancer . ( If it is I would take off the side cover and have a look to see if one of the cogs have come loose ) But the warm vid is around the exhaust and above , which could be the auto decomp . greg

Our pals , can you narrow down where the ticking is coming from ? In the cold vid you are below the motor , which would suggest the big end or balancer . ( If it is I would take off the side cover and have a look to see if one of the cogs have come loose ) But the warm vid is around the exhaust and above , which could be the auto decomp . greg

Hey mate, 

It is definitely in the top where the cams are...

Checked your valve clearances lately...?

clearances will reduce marginally when engine heats up

BTW...you guys are a menace ...lol....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K028FeUWQnk

Haven't checked the clearance... perhaps a good place to start :p

heh, you like that one? 

Hey mate, 

It is definitely in the top where the cams are...

My ticking was in the front, around the exhaust cam, too. Mine seemed more evident on the left side. I even considered maybe I had a small exhaust leak at the pipe. When I checked my tappet clearances, a few months ago, both exhaust were on the tight side of spec.

i rode my bike to work this morning. No ticking. No problems.

• Like 1