Sign in to follow this  

Acerbis 5.8 Tank Mounting Help.

I just recently got the 5.8 and have been having issues with the mounting. Does anyone know what the bolt on spacer lines up to in the tanks tunnel? I can install the tank without the spacer, all mounts bolt up. With the spacer in the forward hole the tank will not go down far enough for the front mount on the right side. The tank tunnel has a small square landing and the spacer hits there stopping the tank from going down further on the right. If I move the spacer back to where "The Video" shows it going on, the tank will rub the spacer and would cause damage. I can modify it and make it work, but I would rather be sure I don't have a bad tunnel or mounting. I appreciate the help, don't worry about saying what may be obvious. I have tried the steps on any forum I could find, watched to many videos and looked at tons of pictures. So yep, it could be something simple. Thanks

I just recently got the 5.8 and have been having issues with the mounting. Does anyone know what the bolt on spacer lines up to in the tanks tunnel? I can install the tank without the spacer, all mounts bolt up. With the spacer in the forward hole the tank will not go down far enough for the front mount on the right side. The tank tunnel has a small square landing and the spacer hits there stopping the tank from going down further on the right. If I move the spacer back to where "The Video" shows it going on, the tank will rub the spacer and would cause damage. I can modify it and make it work, but I would rather be sure I don't have a bad tunnel or mounting. I appreciate the help, don't worry about saying what may be obvious. I have tried the steps on any forum I could find, watched to many videos and looked at tons of pictures. So yep, it could be something simple. Thanks

Is there any way you could post a couple pics to help show the issue? Just trying to visualize it and I can't really do it all that well.

Is there any way you could post a couple pics to help show the issue? Just trying to visualize it and I can't really do it all that well.

Absolutely, I completely understand the need for pics. I will get some up here later today. For more info, I removed the reg/rect just to be sure it was not interfering, and it is trimmed, although it was not the problem.

Here are the pics. The right side will not down far enough to bolt the downward forward brace by about 6 mm because the tank bottoms out on the spacer. If that is the correct area for the spacer to rest, I don't understand why the two areas on either side of the tunnel are not at the same height(pic 2-arrow). The left side works fine. Mounting the spacer in the rear mount on the frame has the tank rubbing on the area just behind the flat area.(marked with a line). I can run the tank without the spacer but I prefer to do the job right, first. IMG_20131026_091255_986_zps89de3258.jpgIMG_20131026_090958_454_zps5c049a6c.jpg

I wish I could be more help. Maybe a defective tank? I'm not really sure. I know you wanna do it the correct way but sometimes part of the fun is making modifications. Sometimes. If you can secure the tank some other way I say go for it. Although you paid for a product and should expect it to fit and operate properly. You could always contact the manufacturer and ask for their input. Just a thought.

the spacer shouldn't be an issue neither should the regulator as you found out

I agree shoot some pics to Acerbis  but I can't see them blowing a mold like that ?

If I had my tank off I would compare mine is an old one  and never fully understood why they didn't make the frame doughnuts take the weight of the tank

the only thing I keep reading about is how hard it is to spread the tank far enough to get it on the bike for the first time

All good suggestions,I talked with the guys at Acerbis more than I want to admit. They seem like good dudes but the end result was neither them or myself have been able to figure it out. The experience from the people on forums have been more in line of a resolution rather than just returning it, which they have offered. From those that have responded, thank you again, I am getting the impression that it is not uncommon for you to have to do a little mods to make it work. I guess the reason I have been looking for more info is because Acerbis told me that the XRL 5.8L is their most popular tank and said that they have no issues of bad tunnels, or defects. So i am thinking, you should be able to install in correctly. They also told me the cross brace should not make contact with the tank when the tank is install properly. 

They also told me the cross brace should not make contact with the tank when the tank is install properly. 

interesting  I will  see if I can confirm this with My tank still on the bike

Edited by Zimman

but that's not porosity IMHO  that just isn't  smooth and being on a non visual side I would find that acceptable as part of the mold process   

technically porosity would be a hole all the way through  but this is what i would consider unacceptable  but clarke shipped it

018-2.jpg