Sign in to follow this  

small pieces of steel from engine

alright guys, im official scared shitless, after draining the oil and flushing the engine, i got some of these(see pictures) small pieces of steel coming out when i took the drain plug out..the original problem was that the bike would not even allow us to kick it, actng like somthing was jamming a gear,and now that we think we have got all the pieces of metal out, the lever can kick freely again..but what on earth could these be??they do not have shape consistant with being part of a piece of gear, so heere are my to thoughts on what they could be:

1: its all left over from a bad cleanout after the engine was rebuilt last (it was just recentyl completely rebuit by previous owner at Ernsberger preformance)

2:it fragments of a fork or somthing..maybe a bearing?

20131024_215456.jpg

20131024_215400.jpg

20131024_215420.jpg

20131024_215450.jpg

20131024_215444.jpg

20131024_215240.jpg

I think it may have been left over from the last build if maybe something shatterd and then it needed a rebuil and they didn't clean it properly if you have flushed it and put clean oil in it I would kick it over make sure everything sounds ok then start it let it run listen and if it's ok put it in 1st listen too it then take it for a ride slowly at first just in case and if anything happens stop it strait away

• Like 1

It's the lower rod bearing. Been there, done that. My bike had the exact symptoms and shrapnel when it let go. Occasionally I could get it to kick through again, but then it would lock up again.

Edited by wes513v

alright guys, im official scared shitless, after draining the oil and flushing the engine, i got some of these(see pictures) small pieces of steel coming out when i took the drain plug out..the original problem was that the bike would not even allow us to kick it, actng like somthing was jamming a gear,and now that we think we have got all the pieces of metal out, the lever can kick freely again..but what on earth could these be??they do not have shape consistant with being part of a piece of gear, so heere are my to thoughts on what they could be:

1: its all left over from a bad cleanout after the engine was rebuilt last (it was just recentyl completely rebuit by previous owner at Ernsberger preformance)

2:it fragments of a fork or somthing..maybe a bearing?

Here is the problem with what you are asking... When pieces are able to drain out with the oil, most likely they have been worked over by the transmission and beat into an unrecognizable condition.  If you new a metallurgist that had a data base of the parts inside your engine he could match the pieces based on metallurgy.  (How many people have access to that?)  

The pictures are not great but one of the pieces looks like it is from a cast part of the transmission.  As far as I am concerned the only thing to do at this point is disassemble the engine and inspect it piece by piece.  Most likely you will find your problem in the bottom end, transmission or crankshaft related.

• Like 2