Sign in to follow this  

Shinko 705 vs 700 vs 244 ?

I've been planning to put a set of Shinko 705's on my XR as soon as the IRC GP-110 tires are sufficiently worn out.  I really like the IRC's for street riding (twisty roads), and they're okay off road if the trail doesn't get too serious, but I wanted to try something different.  I have spare rims with TKC-80's for the serious dirt riding.  They work well for that, although they feel too squirmy on the street.

So I was looking through the lastest issue of Motorcyclist magazine and noticed the Shinko ad showing the 705, 700, and 244 all in a row.  I was wondering if any of you have experience with any of their tires on the XR.

I've looked up a few reviews of the 244, and I probably don't want that tire, but what about the 700?  Some people run a 700 in front and a 705 on the rear, which sounds like a possibility.

I'm after the best tire in the dirt that still makes me feel confident leaning the bike into a corner on a twisty road.

If any of you have experience with any of the Shinko tires I would appreciate hearing from you.

(And I'm NOT interested in hearing about a dozen other tires that I should consider.  I want to give Shinko a try at least once.)

On my 4th set of 705s and that should tell you something.......... I love em. 30 psi front and 32 rear cold and they stick well wet, dry and dirty. They're soft compound and easy to change.  $95 delivered suits me fine. About 3000 miles for rears; 4500 miles fronts. I run mostly twisties and some rough country roads and have unintentionally drug my foot a few times with no tire slippage. 

PS.....oh and the ride is plush!

Edited by natey
  • Like 1

I have run 3 sets of 244's on the back of mine. But i also spend a good 70% in the dirt. Lately i have been spending more and more time on the street. So i have been thinking about running a 700. But only if it last longer than the 244 simply because the 244 has plenty of grip on the pavement. Like mentioned earlier they seem to be a pretty soft compound(although they wear great) So i think that contributes to the plenty of grip. With that said if you are really pushing and caring a little extra weight, they can get a little squirmy when they get hot. I know a ton of people run the 244 and swear by them(including myself) and i dont hear much of anything about the 700 or 705 So that might tell you something. Hard to tell

I am running the 705s on my L and love them they hook up great i try to power brake it to do a burn out and it just wheelies, crank on the throttle around corners in second gear it wheelies, grab a hand full of front brake and it nose wheelies. Had them on for over a year and still look new and for the price cant go wrong and as stated above they ride nice they dont get squirmy under any thing i have put them through including riding 2 up. :thumbsup:

I am running the 705s on my L and love them they hook up great i try to power brake it to do a burn out and it just wheelies, crank on the throttle around corners in second gear it wheelies, grab a hand full of front brake and it nose wheelies. Had them on for over a year and still look new and for the price cant go wrong and as stated above they ride nice they dont get squirmy under any thing i have put them through including riding 2 up. :thumbsup:

Thanks.  I know that they'll be good on the street.  I'm just concerned with how well the work on dirt roads.

• Like 1

On hard pack dirt

705 are 80/20 tire SLICK

700 are 50/50 tire not bad all around

If I was only riding on the street 705 is a good tire

I would buy another set of 700's

off subject kind of, but my next tire purchase for the pig is going to be shinkos i really want to try them out, they wont be DOT approved i will just get the closest best thing they have for desert riding

Thanks.  I know that they'll be good on the street.  I'm just concerned with how well the work on dirt roads.

Great on the street

loose gravel roads a little squirmy but so were the 606's i was running (just cant crank on the throttle)

shallow loam they work ok

hard pack dirt roads and trails they are good

wet grass not so good

I've got a set of 705's on mine and have yet to take them off road but on the street they are great.  The only thing they don't like is when the bridge filler epoxy crap get's wet, but then again even my car seems to slip a bit on that stuff.