IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Bike stutters, turns off every second, massive back fires.

Hello, about a month ago while riding with a few mates in the desert my bike decided he doesn't want to go any further, the bike stuttered, didn't respond well to the throttle, choked alot, and gave those massive back fires like a gun shooting.

the bike is a 2002 DRZ400S.

while in neutral or clutch pulled in, the problem disappears, and the bike rev's normally, but when pulling into gear and driving to drive, all I had is choking and all of what I have mentioned above.

after letting the bike rest a little, the problem disappeared and we have managed to finish our trip.

and the problem didn't come back since then.

when I reached home I removed the carb, without disassembling the carb, just sprayed carb spray into the holes and put the carb back into the bike.

the bike ran normally, a bit unstable idle rpm and sometimes engine turned off while pulling the throttle from idle.

yesterday the problem occured again while riding to work, starting stuttering and choking like a maniac, turned off every few meters after a huge fight with it, power, no power, and shuts off, massive back fires.

I don't know what the problem is, does it sound like a carb problem? or maybe spark plug?

the bike now is at a workshop, I dont know what to expect, I just really hope its not going to hurt my wallet too much.

Sorry for the long post!

Edited by BlaCk ChaoS

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Whats the year and model of your bike? It could be the vacuum petcock taking a dump on you, debris in your carb, tank vapor locking because of a pinched vent line, ect.

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Whats the year and model of your bike? It could be the vacuum petcock taking a dump on you, debris in your carb, tank vapor locking because of a pinched vent line, ect.

Forgot to mention, its a 2002 DRZ400S.

only mod is a full system yoshi exhaust.

Edited by BlaCk ChaoS

i had a very simalar issue with a quad i had a while back. it turned out to be an electrical issue. mine was only getting spark about half the time and would miss fire constantly. if i remember correctly it had something to do with the coil. i would doubt this would be a carburation issue but ya never know.

I had similar symtoms when my bike was flooding. Fuel in your airbox? Check your petcock, needle valve seat o-ring, float height.

Now that I got that cleared up, if I run it too rich, I will get a single nasty backfire or the bike will stall, off idle.

Edited by blakestree

Well, the bike went in for a full carb cleaning and adjusting, and the spark plug has been replaced.

Bike runs much better but still stutters a bit while accelerating.

I'm starting to wonder, any chances that the fuel hose from the petcock to the carb that I've recently replaced is too thin? I don't know the exact size but seems pretty thin..

Update:

after carb cleaning the problem has been solved, or atleast we thought so, it still stuttered a bit at high RPM but I didn't care anymore.

Today the problem occured again, couldn't go over 50 meters without the bike shutting down, massive backfires, and stutters like hell.

after a long trip of fighting with the bike to go forward toward the workshop, my butt couldn't stand the drz seat anymore, so I sat on the rear fender, and all of a sudden the problem dissapeared, I sat on the seat again and the problem occured again, sat on the rear fender again and once again it dissapeared.

so I rode to the workshop on my rear fender  :lol:

we took the seat apart and saw that under my seat theres my alarm, (GBH Beeper alarm), and we noticed a wire has been exposed, maybe due to all of the falls while dirt riding.

Apparently the exposed wire caused a short circuit as the engine vibrates, and my alarm ignition kill went crazy so I had no spark and you can see the results.

So we fixed the exposed wire.

Bike now runs like brand new!

Thanks for everyone for trying to help me solving it!

Edited by BlaCk ChaoS

Update:

after carb cleaning the problem has been solved, or atleast we thought so, it still stuttered a bit at high RPM but I didn't care anymore.

Today the problem occured again, couldn't go over 50 meters without the bike shutting down, massive backfires, and stutters like hell.

after a long trip of fighting with the bike to go forward toward the workshop, my butt couldn't stand the drz seat anymore, so I sat on the rear fender, and all of a sudden the problem dissapeared, I sat on the seat again and the problem occured again, sat on the rear fender again and once again it dissapeared.

so I rode to the workshop on my rear fender  :lol:

we took the seat apart and saw that under my seat theres my alarm, (GBH Beeper alarm), and we noticed a wire has been exposed, maybe due to all of the falls while dirt riding.

Apparently the exposed wire caused a short circuit as the engine vibrates, and my alarm ignition kill went crazy so I had no spark and you can see the results.

So we fixed the exposed wire.

Bike now runs like brand new!

Thanks for everyone for trying to help me solving it!

another suspected carb / fueling issue 

another wire fixed

another bike happy

funny how the carb gets so much blame, when the firey wire is hiding and laughing. 

• Like 1

another wire fixed

another bike happy

funny how the carb gets so much blame, when the firey wire is hiding and laughing. 

carb had alot of dirt inside anyway and needed to be cleaned, the bike runs ALOT better and smoother now also because of the carb cleaning.

another wire fixed

another bike happy

agreed carbs are usually to blame but not always the culprit. and one pesky wire can do so many rotten things. glad all has worked out for you