Sign in to follow this  

XR100R Excel wheel

Hello everyone!  I was curious if anyone here has ever laced up the stock xr100 hubs to a set of excel rims. Stock the sizes are 19" front and 16" rear. The spoke count for the stock setup is 36 front and back.  I can purchase a set of excel rims with the same amount of holes and the same exact rim size.  I know I will probably have to get custom spokes made but this shouldn't be an issue correct?  OEM xr100 wheels are garbage.  I had a xr100 when I was young and trashed the stock wheels.  I recently purchased a 2002 xr100r and making it a winter project.  These bikes are a BLAST on the trails.  It is going to be an adult oversized pitbike.  Not taking any shortcuts.  I want this little XR built to withstand aggressive riding.  Any help would be great!  Thanks guys.

I laced a stock rear hub to an excel rim. Got the rim and spoke kit for it from buchanan. The spoke holes in the hub had to be drilled out slightly for the larger heavier duty spokes. Other than that it was straightforward wheel lacing. The bike has a cr85 front end, so I don't know about that, but I don't see why it would be any different than the rear to lace.

I laced a stock rear hub to an excel rim. Got the rim and spoke kit for it from buchanan. The spoke holes in the hub had to be drilled out slightly for the larger heavier duty spokes. Other than that it was straightforward wheel lacing. The bike has a cr85 front end, so I don't know about that, but I don't see why it would be any different than the rear to lace.

If it's that easy then I don't mind drilling the hub.  That's easy enough to do.  I appreciate the info Anderini :)  Thanks a Ton!

Before you start dumping a bunch of money into it, you might want to look into a conversion.

Before you start dumping a bunch of money into it, you might want to look into a conversion.

What type of conversion?  I've already had the frame, swing arm, and lower fork legs powder coated, replaced front shock springs w/ BBR HD springs, Works HD rear shock, and RSW +3 upper triple clamp.  Have all of that bolted together so far sitting on a bike stand at the moment. 

What type of conversion?  I've already had the frame, swing arm, and lower fork legs powder coated, replaced front shock springs w/ BBR HD springs, Works HD rear shock, and RSW +3 upper triple clamp.  Have all of that bolted together so far sitting on a bike stand at the moment. 

:thinking: Will you be trail riding, or......................"racing at The Nationals"? ;)

While the stock XR100R chassis is way weak for a aggressive adult.  If trail ridden by a light adult with minimal jumping, you may get by ok.  You are far enough into it I'd finish it up and see how it works out for you. :thumbsup:  

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

As Al said, you can get away with a stock xr100 for trail riding. This is true.  But what happens way too much is people start adding fork springs, Works Shock, BBR cradle, motors too strong for the frame, rims/spokes and what happens is you have $1500 into a bike that's still an XR100. I'm one of those people.  While super fun, for about the same money or so, you can sell your bike and get a nice used CR/XR conversion with pretty much everything done.  Just a thought. 

As Al said, you can get away with a stock xr100 for trail riding. This is true.  But what happens way too much is people start adding fork springs, Works Shock, BBR cradle, motors too strong for the frame, rims/spokes and what happens is you have $1500 into a bike that's still an XR100. I'm one of those people.  While super fun, for about the same money or so, you can sell your bike and get a nice used CR/XR conversion with pretty much everything done.  Just a thought.

This is true for any bike, not just the 100. You can spend $3000 on a 250, and when you go to sell your 250, don't expect to get any of that $3000 back.

This is true for any bike, not just the 100. You can spend $3000 on a 250, and when you go to sell your 250, don't expect to get any of that $3000 back.

:thinking: This goes for pretty much any really fun adult toy (with or without a motor).....................wild women being at the top of the list! :lol:

Old School Al............ ;)

Edited by Old School Al

The difference here is that if you dump $1500 into XR100, you still have a pile.  Bad suspension, a frame that twists, flexes. and stretches.  Rims that flatten and blow spokes, a motor you can never get it it's full potential because the location of the carb, size of the air box and limitations on the exhaust.  A conversion fixes all these problems without having the powerband of a CRF150RB.  Or just go the 150RB route if you like lots of HP.  A good used CRF150RB can be had for around $2000.  A decent conversion can be had for about $2500-3000.  Plus with a used conversion you get Renthals, pegs, dialed suspension, decent motor, etc.  Basically about an $8000 bike.  Point being, you can dump $1500 into an XR to make it work like a conversion, and it will never come close or for the same $1500 and price of the stock XR make a real XR that Honda should have made instead of that pile CRF125.  But yea, Wild Women do top the list.  . . . .By far. 

Here's a great example:  http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4167757192.html

If you pay $300 for your rims and spokes, plus a few other odds and ends, you might as well buy this.  Just sell your bike and a few extra bucks and you get a real nice bike that won't break after a hard beating.  Plus that's just the asking price. So good deals are out there.

I like a wider rear rim, a Yamaha XS rim laces right up to the stock spokes, so I'm sure it would lace to heavy duty spokes as well.

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-2025.html 2.5"

http://www.mikesxs.net/product/34-2016.html 2.15"

I don't know if he's still got black ones in stock, but here's the difference:

101_3274.JPG

Mike also has ones that should fit the front if they're 36 hole as well, but I can only confirm the rear.

Here's a great example:  http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4167757192.html

If you pay $300 for your rims and spokes, plus a few other odds and ends, you might as well buy this.  Just sell your bike and a few extra bucks and you get a real nice bike that won't break after a hard beating.  Plus that's just the asking price. So good deals are out there.

Wow, that looks amazing, thanks SoCal, now I got another FREAKIN' project!

00909_7kdc1FqMXr7_600x450.jpg

Honda CRF120 conversion, Honda 100 motor mounted in a Yamaha YZ80 chassis with 2013 CRF100 plastic. The bike is like brand new, BBR 120 Big Bore Kit Powder coated frame, New Excel Rims, New MX51 Tires, New Plastic, Custom Pipe with FMF Powercore S/A, and much more custom hardware. Great little bike fun for all ages!

Wonder if I can fit Yamaha XS650 rims on it?

I know. I saw it and I'm thinking sheesh 2 grand. but I just can't get another bike.  But it looks real nice. That guy did a good job.  Especially I could get for it for maybe $1600.