Pre-startup checks/maintenance after 5 years?

After 5 years of sitting what would you guys say needs to be done before even considering starting a bike? So far I've got:

1) Change coolant, oil, all other internal fluids

2) Check air filter

3) Change oil and fuel filters

4) Remove tank, drain it, rinse with gas, drain that, refill with fresh gas

5) Give it a couple easy kicks to move some fluids around?

After it's running, before anything else moves

1) Check engine for leaks

2) Compress suspension and check for leaks

3) Read the manual and grease everything

4) Read the manual and grease everything again

Anything I've missed? Anything that's unnecessary?

Edited by underscore

Clean the carb. Pull the air filter and air box clean the box (off the bike) with some soap and the hose or pressure washer. Then everything you already stated.

You've pretty much got it all covered.  Doing the carb is a good idea, you will almost definitely need the shock rebuilt because it likely lost all its gas over the last 5 years. 

The forks were supposedly redone about 2 years ago, along with an extra rear shock that may of may not fit, the rear shock currently on there hasn't been touched in 5 years. Is there an easy way to tell if it's in need of a rebuild? Or is it more a case of even if it's okay now, it'll need one soon kinda deal?

The forks were supposedly redone about 2 years ago, along with an extra rear shock that may of may not fit, the rear shock currently on there hasn't been touched in 5 years. Is there an easy way to tell if it's in need of a rebuild? Or is it more a case of even if it's okay now, it'll need one soon kinda deal?

Jump up and down with your butt on the seat to compress the shock.  If it springs back like a pogo stick (has no rebound damping), then it definitely needs a rebuild.  If it blows through the travel with little resistance, it prolly needs it too.

What kind of bike is this??  Honestly you might get 5 miles from the truck and blow the whole thing out, so unless you are doing something close to camp I would get it rebuilt.  We do our shocks in racing about every 6 months or 50 hrs of riding.

Do yourself a favor and make buying a new air filter priority #1. When they get old, they get brittle and I've seen them disintegrate and get sucked through the engine after sitting up for years. 

Thanks for the tips guys, the filter feels quite soft and is very pliable but I'll bring it into the local dealer and see what they think of it when I get some other stuff.

It's a 2002 CRF450R, I'm quite new to riding so as long as I won't do any permanent damage to the suspension I'm okay with it riding a bit off until I'm confident everything else is stable. It won't be going very far or be getting used much beyond making sure everything is running right and then it'll be parked til March or so.

1) Change coolant, oil, all other internal fluids

2) Check air filter

3) Change oil and fuel filters

4) Remove tank, drain it, rinse with gas, drain that, refill with fresh gas

5) Give it a couple easy kicks to move some fluids around?

6) Clean the air box

I pulled the spark plug as well, and it looked good so I'll leave that til spring unless it gives me grief. The airbox was spotless between the filter and engine, and looking past the throttle area and into the valves everything was spotless as well. I'll swing by the shops to grab the rest shortly so hopefully by tonight I'll be kicking it over.

Cleaned everything out, didn't fire, spark seemed bad, busted out the multimeter and yep I've got some shopping to do.

2002 CRF450?

check valves

Put in a new pilot jet

Edited by 4STK4LIFE

Forgive my noobness but how could those prevent spark?

that was reply to original post...........nothing to do with spark

Pretty much everything you listed. I recently came across a 84 IT490 completely stock and intact, but it had been sitting around for almost 2 decades, so the only thing that made me comfortable knowing it's back up to par was to tear it all down to the bare frame and restore it fresh. I'm about 1/2 way there now, still need a lot more to do. But little by little, I'm guessing by the end of November it should be restored. There is nothing like looking at a 84 for example that well over 30 years old and it looks like it's brand new. I can't wait to finish her. Almost don't want to ride it after I do. But let me emphasize one thing, grease up all your suspension really good, better yet, take it apart, clean it and then put it all back together. You'd be surprised how much rust gets into all the long bolts that hold suspension together.

As soon as the engine starts making sound noise the attention will be shifted to all the other moving parts. Tearing it apart sounds a lot better than just greasing it, the plastics are already stripped off and the front end needs to come off again anyways so it'd be foolish of me to skimp on a little extra work now.