Sign in to follow this  

suspension help 2009 yz250f

i need some quick input as I am having my forks refreshed, I weugh 195lbs naked and am a c moto rider.

The stock forks come with .45 kg/mm, race tech says I should use .46,  due to the tolerances of springs should i even bother?

Also, I have changed my rear spring from the stock 5.3 to a 5.6 if that makes a difference.

I guess my main question is would i even notice a spring increase from.45 to .46...thanks.

i need some quick input as I am having my forks refreshed, I weugh 195lbs naked and am a c moto rider.

The stock forks come with .45 kg/mm, race tech says I should use .46,  due to the tolerances of springs should i even bother?

Also, I have changed my rear spring from the stock 5.3 to a 5.6 if that makes a difference.

I guess my main question is would i even notice a spring increase from.45 to .46...thanks.

I think if you had to go up to a 5.6 in the rear to get the sag right, then i agree, i dunno if the .46 is worth it in the front. Either way, a .45 seems light for u, i would bump it...even if its a lil high. Heck, we ride C...I would like to get a stiffer fork spring in what I call a "C Kit"...its like an "A Kit"...but designed to handle hard flat lands on jumps i only make 3/4s of the way, LOL! I would say maybe a ~.48 fork spring if you're going to bother.

Edited by J_WR2fitty

I think if you had to go up to a 5.6 in the rear to get the sag right, then i agree, i dunno if the .46 is worth it in the front. Either way, a .45 seems light for u, i would bump it...even if its a lil high. Heck, we ride C...I would like to get a stiffer fork spring in what I call a "C Kit"...its like an "A Kit"...but designed to handle hard flat lands on jumps i only make 3/4s of the way, LOL! I would say maybe a ~.48 fork spring if you're going to bother.

Funny you say that, that's the whole reason I need to go stiffer… There's a step down double where I ride and I have a hard time clearing it, when I don't clear it I bottom way too hard

I weigh the same and on my 09 I have the stock fork springs and added a stiffer rear spring also ( I don't recall the spring rate). What i've found when i tested heavier springs for the front was the bike didn't want to stay down in the corner when on the gas. I cured the bottoming by adding more fork oil.

The heavier rear spring allowed me to use a bit more sag 105mm's to yield a 35mm free sag. This helped in the braking bumps by keeping the back end down and not hopping as much. Keeping the rear down made the forks stay in the upper part of their stroke, thus smoother in the chatter. Another thing i did to ease the braking and accel bumps was install lighter IC springs in the forks.

Back on the question... no you won't see enough of a difference that adding more fork oil won't fix.