Sign in to follow this  

xr650 SUPERMOTARD... GOOD DEAL ?

HI, Ive owned an xr 400 for almost 12 years now. I love the thing. Ive been commuting on it a bit which involves about 35 miles of riding including freeway. Im looking for something with some more power and bigger for handling on the freeway.

After considering a harley, I decided I love dual sport way more, and just want a souped up dual sport. I found this xr650 ride which seems very nice, clean and upgraded, but expensive http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/4143307969.html .

I want a fast, good handling ride and dont mind paying extra for something well setup. Do you guys think this bike is good value and good for riding the freeway?

I was considering a crf450x as they have 60+ hp and weigh so much less, but I am thinking they are not comporable to the xr series in terms of reliability for every day commuting, and the supermoto tires on the above bike seem like they would make it a better street ride ?

any thoughts ?

HI, Ive owned an xr 400 for almost 12 years now. I love the thing. Ive been commuting on it a bit which involves about 35 miles of riding including freeway. Im looking for something with some more power and bigger for handling on the freeway.

After considering a harley, I decided I love dual sport way more, and just want a souped up dual sport. I found this xr650 ride which seems very nice, clean and upgraded, but expensive http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/mcy/4143307969.html .

I want a fast, good handling ride and dont mind paying extra for something well setup. Do you guys think this bike is good value and good for riding the freeway?

I was considering a crf450x as they have 60+ hp and weigh so much less, but I am thinking they are not comporable to the xr series in terms of reliability for every day commuting, and the supermoto tires on the above bike seem like they would make it a better street ride ?

any thoughts ?

would be great with power, but heavy. With a sm bike weights not to important. Seems cool. Get it.

Hard to beat as far as fun factor goes, but it is over priced. It's turn key and comes with a full dirt and street kit. Building one like it would cost you at least $2500 for the bike and another grand or so for the SM conversion. It doesnt sound like he wants to budge on price, but cash is king. Even if he was willing to come down on price, we would still be about a grand apart. Of course, that is using XR650R prices for Idaho. We dont have to pay extra for a plated bike. They are all plate eligible around here.

I would also worry about the DMV teling me to get bent when I show up looking to get a plate for my new bike. In goes the VIN, out comes DIRT BIKE! "Sorry son, that is a dirt bike, we'd be more than happy to sell you a dirt sticker, but you can't get a plate for a dirt bike." I am not sure about the California laws and rules, so that fear may be unfounded... Being the proud owner of a $5000 ten year old dirt bike with street wheels and tires. Talk about SCREWED!

Bike is already plated, from my modest understanding you fill out the pink and the existing plate stays on it.

Plated 650r's do go for somewhat of a premium, I was thinking I offer 4k and maybe go up to 4200 and walk if any higher.

I agree, I would be hard pressed to find the bike as clean for anything less than 3k and theres at least 1k in parts added with the carb, suspension, supermoto setup... and I dont have to put the effort in of putting it all together. seems like a turnkey sweet ride to me

You might spend that much to build this bike, if it is exactly what you want, maybe not too bad a deal. I have a plated XR650R, running dual sport tires, it's lots of fun. But, there are so many great bikes out there, some that will not wear on you in certain ways (no electric starter, vibration, noisy engine internals, hard seat, ....on and on), so look around and choose carefully. The big XR has motor, and few bikes can match it, within it's displacement category. For a daily driver, I might consider the BMW dual sports, Suzuki VStrom, Kawasaki Versys, the DR650, and the list goes on. My XR is not my only bike, I have a daily driver that is smooth, comfortable, fast, with electric starting. When I throw a leg over my XR, it's always fun.

I think that price is a bit steep. Key words, barn find & crated have always indicated bull%hit... also was too much for previous owner??? plus has a video of the guy running it around a track........... I personally would skip it. I see ones plates here in AZ from around the high 2s to mid 3s all the time. The last one looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor and it was 3100.