Having trouble with rollers.

sand rollers or hard rollers? we have a set of hard rollers at our track, and everybody loves them... easy to accelerate all the way through, followed by a double double .   anyways... hard on the gas, front end light, and slow down the rear rebound if the rear seems to be swapping...stand up and head over the bars...

One thing I know works in certain situations, ride a gear high and lug the bike into and through them. It allows you to go faster by freeing the bike up a little. When you are wound out in a lower gear it's a lot more abrupt going through them and constantly against the rev limiter. A gear higher will allow you to increase speed as your going through without worrying about shifting and revving out. Works well on everything from 125 to 450. I had the best luck back on 250 two strokes personally.

• Like 4

One thing I know works in certain situations, ride a gear high and lug the bike into and through them. It allows you to go faster by freeing the bike up a little. When you are wound out in a lower gear it's a lot more abrupt going through them and constantly against the rev limiter. A gear higher will allow you to increase speed as your going through without worrying about shifting and revving out. Works well on everything from 125 to 450. I had the best luck back on 250 two strokes personally.

Spot on info here.

Except as you get better dont lug anymore, put it in the right gear, and learn to move your body with the impacts of the rollers, you'll be flying through them in no time, rollers are one of the most fun parts of mx.

• Like 2

I struggled on a roller section at one local track. Watching folks hit them showed speed and commitment coming in and they would ride on the tops while leaning back. Trying this I would always drop in and kick out and that did not build confidence to carry more speed.

A friend who executed them well, said to check my suspension. I was probably too soft in the rebound and maybe compression. Once I firmed up a bit I could actually stay up and not kick out. Then I had the confidence to carry more speed.

This also gave me inspiration to play a little further with the clickers to feel what was happening. I started at stock and changed from there. Firmer was best for me. I recorded it on masking tape on the fork leg as I do not have fancy, official stickers.

• Experts

Just looking for a few tips on a section I've been having trouble with. It's a long straight of rollers comin out of 180 degree turn. Just looking for any tips seeing as I'm having a little trouble

Loft the front wheel just over each roller. This keeps the rear wheel tracking and driving you forward. Looking ahead also helps. 

• Like 1

What are the fast guys doing?  Are they carrying the front..or doubling them?  What gear are they in?  As noted, they are probably in a lower gear than you.  To carry the nose...you need to lock back, and get low.  By that I mean move your knees back..and squeeze the crap out of the seat...right about the "triange" of the seat.  Then...you have to bring your head forward...and torso low.  If you stand tall...with your knees locked back on the seat...you will be way to far back.  Locking the knees back creates a position where you can really exxaggerate the row. 

Watch AC.  Textbook.  See how his lower legs...from the knees to the pegs are absolutely LOCKED in to the bike...but above the knee his is moving all over the place?  That is how it is done.

FYI...it is a VERY physically demanding technique.

Edited by Blutarsky
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That looks so cool when done right.  I've been practicing rollers but wow I get so tired in the legs.  I try to get my butt back on the seat like whoops but it's like I death grip the bars then cause i'm so far back.  Maybe i am not gripping with my knees far enough back?  I can seem to do whoops just fine but these rollers are killing me.  I also cannot wheelie, should I practice wheeling to do these properly too?

That looks so cool when done right.  I've been practicing rollers but wow I get so tired in the legs.  I try to get my butt back on the seat like whoops but it's like I death grip the bars then cause i'm so far back.  Maybe i am not gripping with my knees far enough back?  I can seem to do whoops just fine but these rollers are killing me.  I also cannot wheelie, should I practice wheeling to do these properly too?

To do it the way those guys do...your have to have serious core body strength..such that you can lock in with your legs...and NOT need to hold on so hard with your hands.   Lack of throttle control when overgripped is a weakness for me...and I think for a lot of less advances riders.  Working on wheelies (slow AND fast) is a great way to improve that. You have to be able to CLOSE the throttle and open the throttle independent of what the bike is doing.

Edited by Blutarsky

When you go over the rollers do you keep constant throttle?  I watched a few videos and they talk about manualing thru them, not sure what manual means.  But yeah throttle control is a weak point too for me.  I've gotten tons better with not whiskey throttling when I mess up but still need to work on control.  Oh one more questions is hard to tell in video but are the guys locked in and the bike is coming up to their butts or do they sort of squat/rock with the bike?  If that makes any sense

Edited by pavetim

Well the good news is I've been out to the track twice since I originally posted this and I've improved so much in the roller section. It's now one of my favorite sections of the track. The bad news is I crashed last week and went over the bars and it looks like I'm gonna need shoulder surgery :(((. Already had it on the same shoulder once so I'm a bit worried. Not giving up on the sport though.....you live and learn next time ill just be more careful. Thanks for the help guys the tips really paid off and to the post above^ nothing will help you more than seat time.

• Experts

Just looking for a few tips on a section I've been having trouble with. It's a long straight of rollers comin out of 180 degree turn. Just looking for any tips seeing as I'm having a little trouble

The most common technique is to loft the front just over each roller. This keeps the rear wheel tracking, driving forward and staying straight. Your body will do a rolling motion. You might want to check out my free preview of "Body Positions and Movements DVD". If you like you can over the DVD or Stream. Use this code to receive 10% off: xmas2013dvds  http://www.gsmxs.com/dvds/volume-3/dvd-1-body-positions-and-movements

BodyPos & Mvmt FRONT WP.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Are you talking about the rollers at sunshine mx? if you are corner speed is key to those rollers double or triple into them because the first one has an actual jump face to it. its a hit or a miss for me sometimes and shift up in the air on the first jump then lean back and get on the gas and like there saying ''loft the front end'' its going to take alot of practice to get good at it i find much more speed by being up in the revs rather than lugging the bike i hope this helps and if you ever need any advice feel free to ask i ride out there about 3 times a week and have been going there over 12 years