Hi. I am new to the world of dirt bikes and need some help, I am currently riding a crf150f and it is way to slow. I cant even go riding with my friends. I am leaning towards a ktm 125 or 150 2 stroke or a 250 4 stroke don't care what make. i ride mostly on trails, dirt roads and sand pits i want to be able to keep up with my friend that have kx250f's. I am 14, 5'7'' and 160lbs. What do you think is the best for my needs?

Edited by DIRTRIDER444

If you riding trails, then skip the 125 2t and go straight to a 150, 200, maybe even 250. Getting a trail/enduro oriented bike is nice too. Having a kickstand is great!

Btw, where in Ontario are you?

I'm near Huntsville

125 2 stroke is a great handling bike with decent power. Very light too. But you're coming from a 150 air cooled trail bike. I'd say work your way up to a 250f or 250 2 stroke. A 125 is a perfect place to start. And in some cases will beat your buddies 250f's. I've been in the moto world for about a decade now and have to say Race bikes are way better than air cooled trail bikes. But a four stroke will have a way better powerband. It has better delivery throughout the whole rev range. A 2 stroke is no competition in the bottom end power dept. a 2t is just raw power. But the Low cost maintenance makes the 2 stroke the winner in my book. And they sound badass! Hope that helped. Any questions just ask!

would you recommend a trail of race 125? 

Oh I read that wrong. I'd recommend a race 125 because a race model will usually have more power. And you can always fiddle with the suspension to give you ample control in both trail and MX type riding. Not to mention they look better. But if all you do is trail ride and you never do any MX riding at all is go with a trail style bike. Only because it has lights and is toned down a little more

I also ride quite a bit in sand pits would the mx bike have much more power in the deep sand? 

The 125 isn't going to be too good for trails or dirt roads... For mx its awesome. And it can be made into a very trail worthy bike, but its much easier to get a 200 or 250. Also, just because its not an mx bike doesn't mean its not powerful. Your current 150f is a recreational trail bike, in other words, and old outdated, and slow bike. I had one, so I know haha. The current "trail" bikes (crf250/450x, wr 250/450f, ktm 150/200/250/300 2ts) are still high performance.

Stay away from 250 four strokes. If you're just getting into the sport and probably don't have unlimited amounts of money, then a 250f will be a nightmare. Yeah I know 75% never have expensive motor problems but its not worth the risk. I had a 2010 YZ250f and I traded it for a 2009 KTM SX 150 (which has more then all the power I need and I race B class) and am in love with it. Go with a two stroke, it has enough power, is a great learning tool, and is easy and cheap to work on!

Boy, get a 250 2 stroke. Get an old one that runs good for $1500, I happen to like CR's, 2000 and 2001 model year, GREAT BIKES. Send out the forks and shock for service ($150) and ride the crap out of it. You'll smoke your buddies on their 250f's. And you'll either learn to ride or you'll kill yourself trying. At least it won't cost much.

Stay away from 250 four strokes. If you're just getting into the sport and probably don't have unlimited amounts of money, then a 250f will be a nightmare. Yeah I know 75% never have expensive motor problems but its not worth the risk. I had a 2010 YZ250f and I traded it for a 2009 KTM SX 150 (which has more then all the power I need and I race B class) and am in love with it. Go with a two stroke, it has enough power, is a great learning tool, and is easy and cheap to work on!

I ride with a guy that is 50 years old, has owned tons of bikes, and just got a 150XC. That is one awesome bike for its size. Maybe a little softer than the SX, which may be better for the OP. That bike screams, and my friend said it is the most fun bike he has ever owned. Coming from a 150F, the XC would feel like a rocketship