Sign in to follow this  

Possible stator issue?

So my 2002 DRZ400E has been dieing upon stopping and now has progressed to dieing once warmed up. It has been converted to street legal. All wiring was done by previous owner. Today I traced them all and did not find any frayed/stripped wires making contact with frame or any other possibility. Only after market parts I have installed are the trailtech vapor but it is running on internal power, not from the battery. I ran no wires except RPM and temp wires as well as speedo. When it dies it will not start for minutes to possibly not at all. Seems to happen when engine is warm, around 180-200 degrees. When you hit the start button nothing happens. Not an attempt to engage starter, nothing. 

I checked voltages and off the battery has 12.5v and running at idle 13.5. voltage does not increase at any RPM. Is this a possible or likely stator issue? I have read forum after forum of similar problems but never a solution. Any input from the gurus here?

If you mean bump start, no I have not tried that. that will be my next test tomorrow. I am just perplexed as to why nothign happens when I hit the button when its hot. I am no electrical genius, and this is the type of problem that seems to plague me when it comes to trouble shooting.

No, I meant shorting together the two posts on the starter solenoid on the right side of the bike.  This would be one more thing to check for a no start problem.

No, I meant shorting together the two posts on the starter solenoid on the right side of the bike.  This would be one more thing to check for a no start problem.

NO I have not tried that because I am not sure how to do that. What would I be looking for if I did this. Should it cause the bike to kick over?

There are several (many) possibilities.  Dying could be the stator but it would be the ignition pick up coils not the power generating coils.  Nothing happening when you press the start button is not the stator unless the battery is dead as the result of no power generation.  It is also possible you have a bad battery with internal shorts.  What kind of dual sport kit?  Some of them have some electronics that will kill  the motor and prevent restart.

All we can do here is offer a few suggestions.  It will probably take somebody with a test meter to figure it out.

Baja kit from what I can tell. installed by PO. I could yank the wiring harness and see if that solves the problem. Would not be hard to reinstall all the electrical I don't think. How would I know if I have a bad battery with an internal short?

Do a battery load test.  (Battery voltage under load)

I do not know how the BD kit integrates with the original wire harness. What I remember is the BD kit is designed to allow the tail light to remain on with the motor off for 15 min, a CA requirement.  Probably not an issue with the DRZ which had a battery originally.

The DRZ "E" needs 12 volts DC to the CDI and the "kill" wire to be open circuit (ungrounded) to make sparks.