Sign in to follow this  

Top Speed Run

After a long business trip, I decided to take the day off and go out to El Mirage.  First time out there with my 09 X and I took my GPS and decided to do a top speed run.  I have the following upgrades:

IMS 3.2 tank (half full for the run)

Precision Concepts Stage 3 kit (jetting, 08 R Cam, air box mod)

Precision Concepts air pump block off kit

ProCircuit JCR full exhaust system (spark arrestor removed, competition tip used)

14/48 gearing (SunStar steel sprockets, Renthal non-o ring chain)

Maxxis Desert Tires (120/100/18 in the rear, standard size up front, 15 PSI each)

With it being a windless day, I was able to consistently pull off 101 mph.  Considering I am 6'5 and weigh 225, I was pleasantly surprised with my results!  This is still the best and now the fastest bike I have ever owned!   :ride:

IMG_4224.jpg

• Like 2

That's moving on out !    I use a Garmin cycling GPS unit on my dual sport ----- with stock 13/51 gears, the fastest I have hit before it sounded like it was going to float a valve was 77 mph,  with a comfortable cruise speed of about 45.   (Motor is stock, but is jetted properly and has a Yoshi full exhaust--no smog on an Okie bike)

I'll try it again with the 14/48's  -- be an interesting comparison between my stock engine bike and your modded one. 

There must be something wrong with my bike. At the 500 last year, the GPS said our fastest top speed was like 87mph. My teammate was pinned for minutes on end in the lake bed as was I outside Ojos. That was with 15/48 gearing, AS racing stage 3 port and polish, higher compression piston, 08 R cam, and JCR pro circuit full exhaust. I can break into the mid 90s with 14/48 gearing, but for some reason my bike falls on its face with 15/48.

I have an 05 X with only a Hotcam Stage 2 and MRD exhaust as upgrades and saw 93 on my trailtech with 15/47 gearing at the Vegas to Reno a couple years ago.  I think it would have been a little faster at one point, but the sensor cable got ripped up.

What's your estimation on engine revs at 114 ?

Way too much!!! Probably right around 10K...mind you, this was with a fearless 18 year old rider, weighing in at 160 lbs and running a 120 rear tire.

During this year's Vegas to Reno I clocked a top speed of 89mph on my X with 14/48 gearing. That was flat out on one of the longer dry lake beds. My set-up includes a stage 2 HotCams along with an FMF exhaust. I tried the 15/48 gearing but it falls on its face in top gear and just can't pull it. I've ridden several X's and without major mods it seems that they all top out in the mid 80's. My 2 cents....

During this year's Vegas to Reno I clocked a top speed of 89mph on my X with 14/48 gearing. That was flat out on one of the longer dry lake beds. My set-up includes a stage 2 HotCams along with an FMF exhaust. I tried the 15/48 gearing but it falls on its face in top gear and just can't pull it. I've ridden several X's and without major mods it seems that they all top out in the mid 80's. My 2 cents....

Your Stage 2 HotCam is the culprit...those sign off early before 7500rpms...

I was under the impression that the stage 2 was supposed to help with the mid to top end? Hmmm, maybe I'll try the 02 cam as others have suggested.

Edited by Ray03
  • Like 1

I was under the impression that the stage 2 was supposed to help with the mid to top end? Hmmm, maybe I'll try the 02 cam as others have suggested.

As was I. The stage 2 came installed on mine and in comparison to my brother's X with stock cam the stage 2 has noticeably more mid to top pull.

I have not done a top speed on mine but my brother has hit 89 on his.

5000' elevation

Stock motor.

Open air box - 158 main

FMF Q with power bomb

-3 teeth in the rear from stock.

That bike sits in my garage and gets fired up maybe twice a year... Its a shame!!

Compared to a stock X cam, yeah it's a beast. Compared to an 02 R cam or a special grind cam, not so much. Cams are soooo important in making power at a given RPM range.

My X is receiving an 02 R cam. Can't wait to see the difference. I still have 99 problems but hopefully keeping the front end down will be one of them.

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew
  • Like 1

There are a few on ebay right now. one was 69$ shipped and the other 100$ shipped. Both with holders.

Way too much!!! Probably right around 10K...mind you, this was with a fearless 18 year old rider, weighing in at 160 lbs and running a 120 rear tire.

Spot - On  ---  I put these specs into GEaring Commander and it showed a 5th gear top speed of 115 mph  (15-47 and 120 rear)

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Spot - On  ---  I put these specs into GEaring Commander and it showed a 5th gear top speed of 115 mph  (15-47 and 120 rear)

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Thanks for posting the gearing commander. I always wondered what top speed would be.