rear sprocket choice ?

Aluminum or steel?...I am replacing the chain with DID 520/110, Moose racing 650r front sprocket 15, may as well do the rear sprocket. Best bang for the buck in sprockets?

steel all the way !! i will always run steel sprockets they last longer and are cheaper... 

chech out the primary drive sprockets at rockymountainatvmc.com mine have turned out great. i run a gold xring chain on my brp with steel primary drive sprockets .. all baja miles

Edited by rangerclass7sx

Aluminum sprockets wear faster than steel sprockets so if you you want longevity stick with steel. There is no real benefit with aluminum, not on these bikes.

After having an aluminum sprocket get some unusual wear, I'll never use one again.  Steel sprockets only for me.

I bought a Moose steel sprocket...thanks to all for the guidance.

Not to hijack but to "enhance" the thread....

I want a 47 tooth Primary Drive Steel sprocket and they only seem to go down to 48 when you select sprockets that fit the 650r. Is the bolt pattern on the rear sprocket the same on the 650r as other bikes?  

Steel for the BRP.  I have been running a Ironman rear for two seasons and it still looks new.

Not to hijack but to "enhance" the thread....

I want a 47 tooth Primary Drive Steel sprocket and they only seem to go down to 48 when you select sprockets that fit the 650r. Is the bolt pattern on the rear sprocket the same on the 650r as other bikes?  

talk to LIVE CHAT parts tech on the rockymountain site they are very smart they will figure it out just tell them what you want ! if your buying a packaged deal they will sell the stock sprocket sizes and chain for your bike, but its not a sealed box they toss the chain and sprockets in your order. soo  they are separete parts put together by them

The moose rear sprocket has round holes in it too. Which I like, The OEM rear sprocket is kinda cheesy looking IMO.

My Moose/PBI story:

I got a bad front XRR sprocket from Moose (retainer clip would not fit on either side of sprocket due to holes being out of alignment), and this being my 3rd Moose CS sprocket from them, I knew it was the holes.

Anyway, they sent me a new 15T front sprocket right away with a PBI hat and 2 sets of PBI swingarm stickers. I was flabbergasted, I don't put stickers on my ride... but I did put those PBI ones on the swingarm!

This was back in July and I still need to send a thank you email, but I will always stick to Moose Racing/ PBI sprockets and will recommend them.

My 15/48 combo does well, though I thought it would be too low. It feels a bit higher geared than a 14/45, but that may be in my head. I rode 150 miles yesterday and was pulling 65-75 MPH with no issues, over that it was a bit zippy. 

Edited by bluffskier