Sign in to follow this  

Top speed of a 125/150 2 stroke

Just wondering how fast people have been going on a 125 or 150 2 stroke... How do the speeds compare to a 250 4 stroke?

My 144 would do about 95, my buddy's 250f wouldn't do much more, maybe 100. Top speed means nothing anyways

My 144 would do about 95, my buddy's 250f wouldn't do much more, maybe 100. Top speed means nothing anyways

That's KM/h right?  not mph  --  that's 60-65 mph and that's right in line with what most 125/150/250F's should be going

Leaf is right in that top speed is not a measure of these bike's capabilities -- top speed is limited by the final drive ratio.  A KAwi Ninja 250 with less power than any of these bikes can likely hit 100 mph on the street

Edited by DMC707

That's KM/h right? not mph -- that's 60-65 mph and that's right in line with what most 125/150/250F's should be going

What?! An 85 can do 65-70

That's KM/h right? not mph -- that's 60-65 mph and that's right in line with what most 125/150/250F's should be going

What?! An 85 can do 65-70

I just gps'ed a 50 hp 450x dual sport at 78 with stock gearing -it might've had a couple more mph to give, but I wasn't going to risk valve float to find out      -- same bike with Baja gearing can hit close to 100, but i'm assuming we're talking about stock gear ratios on these things

It wouldn't really surprise me that a 6 speed 85 could hit 55-60 mph at the extreme top end, but i'd rather get results from someone strapping a GPS to one than just speculation

• Like 1

125 2 strokes tops speed is around 65 - 70mph.   

250f's top speed is around  72 - 75mph.

I had a buddy with a 1994 rm125 all stock besides a pipe, we gps'd him at 71mph. The 250F's on the other hand i have no personal experience to back up..  They have a slightly longer final gear then the 125's and more CC's

If you're wondering the "top speed" of bikes like these I assume you're taking them on highway?

If you want to know the performance of motocross bikes, ask how they handle, how the torque/ horsepower is at different RPM ranges, how the suspension feels etc etc.

I could throw a 40 tooth sprocket on the wheel and gain more "top speed" in a pinch

My 98 YZ250 topped out at 55mph. I threw my phone with a GPS app in my backpack and went all out on a straight. My bike is geared way down though for tight trails. I'm not concerned about top speed on my bike though.

If you're wondering the "top speed" of bikes like these I assume you're taking them on highway?

If you want to know the performance of motocross bikes, ask how they handle, how the torque/ horsepower is at different RPM ranges, how the suspension feels etc etc.

I could throw a 40 tooth sprocket on the wheel and gain more "top speed" in a pinch

Everyone already knows they aren't made for top speed, but alot of people are still curious to know what it is just for a fun fact.  Yes he obviously means highway there is really no where else you can safely test the top speed of any Motorcycle. 

Everyone already knows they aren't made for top speed, but alot of people are still curious to know what it is just for a fun fact. Yes he obviously means highway there is really no where else you can safely test the top speed of any Motorcycle.

But I tested mine on a dirt trail. About 5 bikes wide and roughly one mile long smooth straight. Perfect for topping the bike out.