Sign in to follow this  

HELP - CR125 SwingArm Pivot Bolt Stuck !

I knew it would take a good beating with a hammer to pound out that bolt, but this one is stuck good.  I have a 2000 CR125 and in process of removing the engine to do a full rebuild.  I got the other 2 mounting bolts out easy, but not this one.  I even used an 8lb sledgehammer and pounded the thing at least 25-30 times.  I sprayed penetrating oil on there, I heated it up with a propane torch for about 4-5 minutes and so forth.  It won't even budge.  I removed the nut, and then you are supposed to pound out the bolt.  Sounds simple but not for me.

Any suggestions?

I knew it would take a good beating with a hammer to pound out that bolt, but this one is stuck good. I have a 2000 CR125 and in process of removing the engine to do a full rebuild. I got the other 2 mounting bolts out easy, but not this one. I even used an 8lb sledgehammer and pounded the thing at least 25-30 times. I sprayed penetrating oil on there, I heated it up with a propane torch for about 4-5 minutes and so forth. It won't even budge. I removed the nut, and then you are supposed to pound out the bolt. Sounds simple but not for me.

Any suggestions?

You need to put the engine mount bolts back in to get the weight off of the swing arm bolt

You need to put the engine mount bolts back in to get the weight off of the swing arm bolt

I think you're on to something there. I will do as you said and then I will use an air hammer to try to get the bolt out thanks for the idea

Also when applying heat you want to heat up the surrounding area not the bolt itself. The heat will cause everything to expand so in this case you want the metal around the bolt to expand and not the bolt itself. Soaking it with penetrating oil and leaving it sit over night is also a good idea. But I wouldn't hit the end of the bolt with a sledge. It is aluminum and will mushroom easily. A punch works great as already mentioned or a dead blow hammer with a soft end. If you must use the sledge then put a piece of wood over the end of the bolt and hit the wood with the sledge. And you can also take off the rear shock and then put something under the rear wheel to hold it up in the air a bit. That will take off the weight from the swingarm so your not fighting that as well

Edited by Curt026

I used an extension, had somebody lift up the back wheel and then pounded it out using a socket extension. Make sure that nothing else is keeping the bolt from coming out. It should not be too terribly difficult to remove. 

Lay it down on its side and block the bike up so there's no flex when you try to drive the bolt out. It won't take to hard of a hit once it can't move. Goodluck